AJS 1954 18cs footpegs

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
zbf489d

AJS 1954 18cs footpegs

Post by zbf489d »

Hi gents and gals,

I have a problem you probably can help me out with!

Am trying to build my resto object to being original.

Having several footpegs for my AJS comp , but they have the same parts number(016461) although the are “grinded off” ,( like inmachined) differently !

Just in the inside curve above the mounting..
1.One with huge grinding , looks factory
2.Another with a smaller grinding and not across the whole width (NOS, said to be)
3.A third without any grind off´s (NOS, said to be)
4.And a 4th, like number 1 but width on inner mounting ear shortened, and with angled material off grindings around the mouting on fron and rearside, looks good but could be a mod done by owners?

Looking in the parts catalogue, it should be different numbers left/right.

On no2 there was a note attached with a string, mentioning the “missing” part number(018288) !

Could you shed some light on this one!

Trying to figure out what´s right !

Regards,

Marco
Don Madden

AJS 1954 18cs footpegs

Post by Don Madden »

Hi, Marco. The 1954 CS models used 016461 on the left & 018288 on the right side. The footrests were similar to those used up into the late 60's, so you might have any of them, except the latest type had folding ends.

The left side is machined to allow sufficient clearance to remove the chaincase clamping band. Owners often grind away more metal as it is very difficult to remove the band, especially after the engine settles into the frame with wear or damage.

The right side protrudes further away from the frame as the exhaust pipe passes over, with a kink in the pipe, & needs sufficient room.

Pipes can vary from 1-1/2" diameter to 1-3/4" depending on year & engine size so the needed clearance can also vary. Owners may grind more clearance if needed.

You are lucky to have any of the variations as these are some of the most difficult to source. Pick the ones that fit best & modify if necessary.

Cheers, Don.
zbf489d

AJS 1954 18cs footpegs

Post by zbf489d »

Hi Don,

Thanks a bunch for your reply!
Hard to find info this detailed...

I´ll give it my best shot!
Thanks!
Regards,
Marco