Gearbox output shaft seal

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Trefor

Gearbox output shaft seal

Post by Trefor »

I'm having to replace the output shaft (behind the gearbox sprocket) on a Burman GB box (1954). Two questions- once the primary case clutch etc. is removed can the seal be easily replaced? Is the seal a standard size or a special order?
Mick D

Re: Gearbox output shaft seal

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You have to remove the seal to replace the output bearing, both are readily available. You may also need to replace the sprocket spacer, which also acts as the bearing surface for the lip seal.

All of the above can be done with the main case in-situ if required.

Regards Mick
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

Thanks Mick. That's what I wanted to hear. I realise I should have said I was replacing the leaking seal only ( I hope ).
Cheers,
Trevor
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Trefor wrote:replacing the leaking seal only ( I hope ).
Hi

The seal is held in a circular plate holder which in turn is retained in the main case by a circlip. Once you have the sprocket off all will become obvious. The easiest way to remove the seal and holder assembly is to drill a couple of holes 180 degrees apart in the seal and insert self tapping screws to pull on with pliers once the circlip has been removed.

An oil leak in that area can also be the result of worn bushes in the sleeve gear - check for excessive play between the main shaft and the sleeve gear.

Regards Mick
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

I've got the sprocket off and the seal out- thanks for the tip about the self tappers Mick, it worked a treat. I can't find any play the shafts, so its just a matter of replacing the parts. The collar the seal runs on is grooved. Steve at AMC suggested turning it around, but somebody had beaten me to it!
Cheers Trevor