Dynamo locating strip

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Blackcat

Dynamo locating strip

Post by Blackcat »

Hi, could someone advise me the exact position of the dynamo locating strip, should it be against the engine plate or centred? thanks. -1947 G80
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I dunno man - I only just got here meself!
clive

Re: Dynamo locating strip

Post by clive »

Should be centred between the two engine plates or you will not easily be able to turn the dynamo to tighten the chain.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

clive wrote:Should be centred between the two engine plates or you will not easily be able to turn the dynamo to tighten the chain.
Is that the question Clive?

The plate's position needs to be determined by aligning the dynamo and hence the dynamo chain precisely inline to avoided the dreaded "chain clash". The plate must then be secured in position with the two screws so that the flange is in contact with the engine plate so that correct position of the dynamo (and thus the dynamo chains alignment) can be easily set when subsequently disturbed.

Or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick (or even the wrong stick!)?

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I think you are spot on, GL. It's the chain alignment first and set the strip second. 30 or more years ago I had that clash, fortunately at low speed, although the boss on the drive side crankcase still bears the scar.

Johnny B

PS I had no strip then and no knowledge about aligning the chains!
clive

Post by clive »

You are of course right Alan I assumed the dynamo was set in the correct alignment to the drive sprocket, and was advising how to then set the plate because in the photo the plate is pushed under the fitting slot at one end. There should be a tab at both ends of the plate so that the dynamo is prevented from going in too far or out too far of that alignment. Looking closer at the photo the dynamo is probably not far enough across.
clive
Blackcat

Post by Blackcat »

Thanks Guys, I just had the dynamo sitting loosely for the photo, but I will take your advise when I have the gearbox and engine back in the frame.
I dunno man - I only just got here meself!
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I have owned 3 singles over the years and none of them had the Dynamo locating strip attached. I bought one and tried to fit it but it was so fiddly I gave up. I align my Dynamo using a vernier caliper and 12 in steel rule - takes a couple of minutes and hopefully you only have to do it once or twice in the bike's life with you. I wrote an article for the Jampot some years ago that doesn't seem to have made it into Tech Articles; PM me and I will send a copy. Cheers, Andy
clive

Post by clive »

I have actually removed them from dynamos I have fitted. Why not try posting your article into the tech articles again Andy
clive