Clutch slips when starting

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Peterlukes12

Clutch slips when starting

Post by Peterlukes12 »

The clutch on my bike (G80CS) has started to slip on started up. I had opened up the primary cover and been round and given the screws and overall tighten up. That seemed to resolve things for a couple of weeks but the problem has returned. I cant really get enough "purchase" on the kick starter to start the bike. I have never noticed a problem when the bike is running. I thought maybe it means new clutch plates but couldnt see any on the spares site. Has anyone else had this problem that can tell me the proper way to resolve it :)

Thanks in anticipation :)
Mick D

Re: Clutch slips when starting

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Check the adjustment of the clutch cable and operating arm - see the owner's manual for your year bike.

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_manuals/

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

You need to do things in a particular order.... The five (or three, depending on the gearbox) nuts holding the springs are all reset to the same position... flush with the pressure plate as a starting point then 'tweaked' individually to ensure that the pressure plate lifts evenly all the way round when the clutch lever is operated. That accomplished, the cable is slackened right off to ensure that the operating mechanism was free to find it's 'home' position. That done, undo the pushrod adjusting screw lock nut. Then the adjusting screw in the pressure plate is backed off and then screwed in again until it is just touching the pushrod and there is no 'free play'. At this point it is backed out 1/2 a turn and the lock nut tightened. Finally, the cable is adjusted to leave about 1/8 of an inch free play. Mission accomplished.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Peter, clutch plates appear on the spares site if you are not searching by part number try using "friction" in the search, often the names are as in the parts list so as they would already be in the clutch section it may be missing that word in the description.

The first thing I would do is take the plates and and inspect them before buying any others they could just need a clean, there may be a distorted plain plate (symptom usually drag), burred ears on the plates or if you have an AMC clutch the cush drive rubber may be breaking down and contaminating the clutch (look for a black sludge), you can also check the spring length at the same time.
ray.woolford

Post by ray.woolford »

Hi Peter had the same problem with my CSR just could not get it over compression without it slipping. Replaced plates, springs, did all the usual things and it still did it. In desperation took it all apart yet again found a new clutch centre (star wheel thingy) fitted that put it all back together and it's fine now, so was that the answer don't know.