Are wheel rims interchangeable?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
uktom77

Are wheel rims interchangeable?

Post by uktom77 »

Afternoon all,

Beginning to embark on my first wheel build. The old rim is not great but I have a 40 hole 19" wm2 rim of unknown origin at my disposal (bike is a '52 18s with 4" rear cotton reel and 7" single sided front).

Having looked in the parts book (and searched to no avail) it seems there are different part numbers for front and rear rims, even if both are same 19"/40spoke/WM2.

So what's the difference, how do I tell the difference and could I use my (generic/unknown) rim if the angle of the spokes line up, all be it superficially?

Thanks, Tom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mick D

Re: Are wheel rims interchangeable?

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It's down to the spoke piercing pattern - if the piercings are visually similar you will probably get away with it.

Regards Mick
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

The piercings are different for single sided and equal sided hubs. Then as each manufacturer may have had different dia hubs and widths of hubs the piercings are different for them also.
You may get lucky, but their is lots to go wrong, but if you dont try you will never learn. Single sided hubs are the hardest!
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Why do I always start with the hardest option! Oh well, I guess if I can get it right then it'll be downhill from there .......

It looked very similar but I shall now be scrutinising it in more detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If it looks similar then it will probably fit.

The main consideration is if it's been pierced for a full width hub or half width.

Offset, hub diameter and width can all be accommodated by the tolerance between the piercing and nipples.

Regards Mick