necessary to completely remove ATD when timing ignition?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
MAC

necessary to completely remove ATD when timing ignition?

Post by MAC »

Hi, I was having a bit of trouble setting points accurately and the reason became apparent when points plate removed to check auto advance on 1958 M18.
The bush in the cam was very worn causing the cam to “wobble” on the heel of the points. My mate obligingly turned up a brass bush and its snug on the shaft now.
The bike starts and runs but before i fine tune newly re-sleeved carb, i want ignition as accurate as poss.
My query is this: The manual states when setting ignition timing to remove the ATD by way of inserting the extractor tool. It then says to refit and time using the spoke down the plug hole method..I can't see what removing then refitting is actually doing? The weights can easily be removed from within their housing to be cleaned and I have fitted new springs from the club stores. Can I just wedge the weights to full advance and go ahead with the ½” BTDC procedure? Or is there a reason for the removal? Thanks.
dave16mct

Re: necessary to completely remove ATD when timing ignition?

Post by dave16mct »

No need to remove A/R mechanism. Just wedge them open and check the setting. I would put a pencil mark on your points plate first. Then you can see if it's far out. Best way to check is by riding it, see how it goes.
Dave.
MAC

Re: necessary to completely remove ATD when timing ignition?

Post by MAC »

Thanks Dave, I must have read it out of context. It starts easily and runs but i know from the 'feel' its not at its best..need to benchmark timing before fettling refurbed carb. ( i'll mention that story in another post) Good tip about marking plate. Cheers again.