Oil leak from the front fork leg.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Oil leak from the front fork leg.

Post by Pharisee »

Over the past few months, I've been gradually attending to the few 'niggles' that came with my recently acquired G80CS. A lack of oil in the gearbox was down to a loose inner cover and a broken gasket. The front forks, however, proved a little more taxing. When I took delivery of the bike, the front forks were completely empty... so I refilled them with the requisite quantity of 20 weight fork oil. Ever since, there have been a few drips. The fibre washers on the drain screws were replaced and the screws fully tightened but the drips kept coming. I thought that maybe the damper tube retaining bolts were loose, so they were removed, cleaned and the fibre washer replaced. Still the dips kept coming. This evening, I took the spindle retaining caps off again and unscrewed the studs. The rearmost studs on both legs were secure but very oily. I wondered if the threaded hole in the aluminium slider was open to the internal bore. A tentative poke with a pencil seemed to indicate not. I cleaned the hole out with some brake cleaner and compressed air then had a look with an endoscope inspection camera. There seemed to be a small crack in the casting at the blind end of the hole. I cleaned the studs and put them back with some blue Loctite sealer. Time will tell if I've cured the leak.
Image_2020-07-03 18_36_32_361.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.

Re: Oil leak from the front fork leg.

Post by 1608 »

Well done for spotting the cause of the leak, could easily have been missed.