g80 chain case breather ??

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
andy johnson

g80 chain case breather ??

Post by andy johnson »

good afternoon folks , I've recently obtained a g80cs 1963 having only just got her registered went out for a spin and had oil coming from the chain case , so a few questions if you can help please , i believe there should be a 'copper' pipe that has the alternator cables coming trough ? mine just has a grommet with the cables in the middle of it and above there is a hole where i believe the oil is coming out of ? is there supposed to be a dedicated breather pipe ? what would be the correct quantity of oil ? .
there seems to be a lot of pressure in the chain case when i take out an inspection plug out with the engine running , is the chain case linked to the crankcase for lubrication at all or is it a separate item as regards lubrication ?
ill have to take the chain case outer cover off to get the grommet back in as i cant get it in from the small gap between the engine plates and inner case.

thanks for your replys in advance
regards
andy
Mick D

Re: g80 chain case breather ??

Post by Mick D »

andy johnson wrote:i believe there should be a 'copper' pipe that has the alternator cables coming trough
Not in my experience - there is a shaped grommet to seal that orifice.
andy johnson wrote:and above there is a hole where i believe the oil is coming out of
That's the breather hole that is shielded by the cast 'shelf'above it.
andy johnson wrote:what would be the correct quantity of oil ?
Just touching the primary chain when the bike is on the center stand.
andy johnson wrote: is the chain case linked to the crankcase
Yes, via the main bearing but not for lubrication purposes.

When you have the primary drive cases off confirm that the crank case breather is functioning correctly - it's the brass pipe coming from the crank case on the drive side.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Here's the breather. Inside the nut marked on the pic there's a steel disc which is the 'valve' and should be free to move.
If you kick over the engine you should feel puffs of air from the pipe as the piston descends, (or you could put the end of the breather tube into a cup of water and watch for bubbles)..
Breather - crankcase marked.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
andy johnson

Post by andy johnson »

thanks for the replys gents , ill investigate further tomorrow !!

Post by 1608 »

It helps also if the alternator wires loop down slightly before they exit the case. This allows any oil splash to drip off the wiring inside the casing.
andy johnson

Post by andy johnson »

hi folks , had a quick look at the chain case , how does it come off ? the footpeg seems to stop it from moving forward and the footpeg is 'wrapped' around the frame ??
regards
andy
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I think you'll find you have to partially withdraw the footrest tie bar towards the right in order for you to remove the left footrest, then the outer case can be removed.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Owners Manual..

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf
G80 front chaincase (640x324).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Nev - It's a 63 model CS, wouldn't that be an alloy case?

Mick
andy johnson

Post by andy johnson »

yes , alloy chain case !!! took battery box off , footpeg is floating around the frame , removed the centre stud , now jiggling everything to see if it'll come away from the inner case and off , hmmmmm !!