Cannot get the bike to idle on it's own?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
chaz_lithik

Cannot get the bike to idle on it's own?

Post by chaz_lithik »

Hi all

I'm having a real issue getting the bike to idle on it's own without applying any throttle.

1952 g80s pre monobloc amal carb (with the seperate float bowl)

I have taken the carb apart given a thurough clean reset as per amal instructions. Have been following the carb tuning instructions on adjusting air screw and throttle stop screw but it doesnt seem to make any difference?

Bike will run and rev when applying throttle but as soon as you let off it dies?

Anyone experienced any similar issues? Or have any suggestions?

Thank you

Charlie
Mick D

Re: Cannot get the bike to idle on it's own?

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Does retarding the ignition improve the situation?

Have you set the throttle stop to a point where it will just tick over and then adjusted it in conjunction with the pilot screw?

Regards Mick
chaz_lithik

Post by chaz_lithik »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Does retarding the ignition improve the situation?

Have you set the throttle stop to a point where it will just tick over and then adjusted it in conjunction with the pilot screw?

Regards Mick
Hi Mick

I have tried the retard lever each way and it makes a change ie slows or speeds up but still wont tick over.

Adjusting the throttle stop screw either way seems to make no difference either? How should this be set?

I have screwed all the way in and then come out around 2 full turns

and then adjusted pilot air screw so as there are no back fires about half a turn out this seems to be the smoothest running whilst applying just enough throttle to keep it alive.

I have played with them either which way but it will not idle?

Thanks
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Screwing in the throttle stop screw is the same as opening the throttle so just screw it in until the engine just ticks over. Then screw the pilot screw in or out until the fastest tick over is achieved. Screw out the throttle stop until the just ticks over again and repeat the process until you get a tick over that's acceptable - don't expect too much from an old carb but you should be able to get to a point where it won't stall for a while but may need the occaasional blip from the throttle.

Regards Mick
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Mick's advice spot on. Particularly about old carb.

Johnny B