Fitting a Centre Stand Spring

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Dave Holmes

Fitting a Centre Stand Spring

Post by Dave Holmes »

I have a '53 Matchless 500cc single. The Centre stand was pivoting too far forward so I removed it and had lugs welded onto it so that it now goes 'just over centre' . I have wound up the return spring using jubilee clips (it is like a bomb waiting to go off!) but I cannot work out which way it is fitted. Are there any pics? I have searched through all 71 pages of posts!!
clive

Re: Fitting a Centre Stand Spring

Post by clive »

well the one thread you missed is the one where you asked the same question (in the "Centre stand question" thread) and 20 mins before you asked this again Mick put up a helpful photo! :headbang:

By the way you are showing up as a guest currently but seem to have just renewed, you won't have full access to the website as a guest, if it does not sort itself in a day or so out drop an email to the webmaster@jampot.com quoting your membership number.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://www.jampot.com/magazines/pre-198 ... 201997.pdf
I have recently completed scanning all Jampot Magaines. In the 90's there were a couple of issues that gave a tech tip index.
I did complete the scanning about a 100 tech tips in one index last Easter, but there are many more in the old Jampot magazines.
I did a quick check of one index and found a reference to center stand springs in the April 1997 issue. Not sure it it will help.
I do not think any tech tips of the 1990s are listed in " Tect tips " section here on the web site. I am sure the waiting list of about 100 I did were from the 1980's era.

If you look at Pre 2004 Jampots, you will see I have made a note as to the issue you will find a Tech tips index.
So remember that for and tech advise. What ever you want to know of AMC history, Club history and about bikes is in those 600 + magazines.
If you are not a member of the club you cannot access the above mentioned. So may be worth joining the club.
Dave Holmes

Post by Dave Holmes »

Rob and Clive thank you so much. Yes, I had missed that reply! I enjoyed the Jampot article. Into the garage again now and am going to give it a go!
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

I also enjoyed the older club magazine. Thanks for posting.

The clip method of fitting the stand spring using jubilee clips works well, I have used this method a number of times and it is a safe and easy way to fit the sping.
Be sure to locate the clip screw heads in a position so that they can be accessed from underneath the bbike and undo the clips evenly a bit at a time.
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

I fitted the stand spring recently using a cable tie to tension it. Then simply cut the cable tie when done.
Charles