hairpin valve spring compressor

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Chris Berry

hairpin valve spring compressor

Post by Chris Berry »

A bit of a long shot I know but I am wondering if anyone can help me in sourcing a valve spring compressor to suit Matchless hairpin valve springs.
Mick D

Re: hairpin valve spring compressor

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You know you can fit them by hand don't you ;) well at least us Pommies can :rofl: :rofl:

Regards Mick
gotoole

Post by gotoole »

what about the club spares? http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=21316
or
AMCClassicSpares also list it under miscellaneous. http://www.amcclassicspares.com/

Sorry Chris, only noticed now you are in Australia. While AMC Classic Spares are sill posting items, I know I was unable to post to Australia yesterday, from Ireland, because of restrictions due to Covid19. I assume the same will apply to posting from UK.
Like Mick_D, I found it easier to insert the springs by hand.
Chris Berry

Post by Chris Berry »

gotoole wrote:what about the club spares? http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=21316
or
AMCClassicSpares also list it under miscellaneous. http://www.amcclassicspares.com/

Sorry Chris, only noticed now you are in Australia. While AMC Classic Spares are sill posting items, I know I was unable to post to Australia yesterday, from Ireland, because of restrictions due to Covid19. I assume the same will apply to posting from UK.
Like Mick_D, I found it easier to insert the springs by hand.

Thanks gotoole. I've had a look at the amc spares site but the one there (018276) is not the one I need. The correct one for me is 014605 which has been nil stock on AMOC site for quite some time (I identified it on my wish list around 18 months ago). I'll keep looking perhaps one will show up somewhere.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Displaying my ignorance. Why that one for hairspring valve springs on a G80, why won't the shovel do? Just would like to know more about it.

Johnny B
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I have it on good authority that for the closed type hairpin valve springs on I believe singles up to 1950 it's not possible to use the shovel type compressor and only the half moon type spring compressor can be used. AMC Classic Spares have some being made.
clive

Post by clive »

Mick D wrote:Hi

You know you can fit them by hand don't you ;) well at least us Pommies can :rofl: :rofl:

Regards Mick
Not on 48 G80 if it has the correct spring retaining tray. The ends of the springs fit into holes in them and it requires a C type compressor which bolts to the cylinder head. Much slower to operate than the later type which you can fit by hand. Unfortunately if you decide for ease of fitting to convert to the flat tray type you also have to fit new springs as the tangs on the early ones were shorter. If you don't the spring may rock up on compression making a tapping sound hitting under the rockerbox cover. How do I know.........
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Chris Berry

Post by Chris Berry »

Chris Berry wrote:A bit of a long shot I know but I am wondering if anyone can help me in sourcing a valve spring compressor to suit Matchless hairpin valve springs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Berry

Post by Chris Berry »

A0D6AFC1-276A-42F6-A2CB-64179131C113.jpeg
Chris Berry wrote:A bit of a long shot I know but I am wondering if anyone can help me in sourcing a valve spring compressor to suit Matchless hairpin valve springs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.