Shakedown results - Engine shock!

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Jdraper

Re: Shakedown results - Engine shock!

Post by Jdraper »

bob wrote:Just a guess but if the old shaft splines were buggered has it jammed on the splines and someone has hammered the cam to try to remove it . A hammer is the only way I can see this sort of damage being caused .
No this is the new cam & primary shaft, around 200 miles only. The cam is a good sliding fit on the shaft. It is the old shaft & cam splines that were knackered. The cam face itself on the old cam was in really nice shape. The engine sprocket cam is also in great shape, with no chips.

Thinking about it, the damage is only on the overrun (anticlockwise), not the power faces of the cam, which seems counter intuitive.

Puzzling.

Jeremy
clive

Post by clive »

What about the cap. Is it damaged. Are you sure you have a 500 spring?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Jdraper wrote:Thinking about it, the damage is only on the overrun (anticlockwise), not the power faces of the cam, which seems counter intuitive.
Hi

Are you sure? That looks like the drive face to me.

Regards Mick
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

G80 1946.jpg
I've been chasing a engine vibration on my 46 G80 for about 5 years , always assumed it was in the gear box , but finally realized that although I had replaced the outer shock absorber cam and spring that the inner cam was worn out ( thanks Ray for helping identify this recently) when you compare the inner cam with the old one its obvious. I must have looked at it numerous times over the years. I still need to give the bike a good fast run but it used to exhibit its self as heavy vibration under load
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ray.woolford

Post by ray.woolford »

Peter thanks for the mention you could have used a picture of the G80 after we gave it a make over?
Jdraper

Post by Jdraper »

Mick D wrote:
Jdraper wrote:Thinking about it, the damage is only on the overrun (anticlockwise), not the power faces of the cam, which seems counter intuitive.
Hi

Are you sure? That looks like the drive face to me.

Regards Mick
Quite right... :oops:
Jdraper

Post by Jdraper »

This picture shows my engine shock absorber spring - free length is near enough 1.5". No compression is required to get the nut on the end of the shaft and the cup washer is fine. Sounds like it could be either weak or perhaps a 350 spring.

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

And I'd carry a spare of the cup, those pressed out ones are liable to fail, although this may just be my experience.

Johnny B