My project 1955 18s

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Harold2110

My project 1955 18s

Post by Harold2110 »

Purchased on Ebay for an appropriate exchange of funds the bike travelled home in the trailer in bits and boxes.
20190310_183913.jpg
other side.jpg
more bits.jpg

I've wanted to do one of these for ages and this one came up built in my birth year so its only right.

The seller had taken the speedo, thats a bummer and will be a trick to find however the rest of the bike is mostly there, importantly the tinware and frame are all in good nick apart from the front mudguard which will take a bit of work.

The cylinder head has had holes drilled down through the fins to aid cooling I presume, that head has been replaced with an unholy version.
Anyone want a head with 50 or so holes drilled through the fins?
Progress so far the bottom end has been completely rebuilt with bushes bearings and oil pump all replaced with new. the barrel as been sleeved back to standard with an new piston.
The new cylinder head is being fettled at the moment, the valves and guides are new , the seats re-cut and the rockers are being rebuilt shortly. we are lucky to have an engineer in Adelaide who makes a lot of AJS parts including the rocker arm spindle sleeves, I'm just tracking down a set of springs and spring seats and the head can go back together.
The gearbox internals were in brilliant condition I've just had to replace the kickstart and gearshift shafts and bushes and oil seals. the gear shift was not included and so i've cut down a kickstart and made a gear shift from that, it will look awesome chromed up. Cams Have been sent to Newman's In England for refinishing and are on the way back right now.
Getting close to the painting and first assembly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbranni

Re: My project 1955 18s

Post by cbranni »

Looks a good project Ian, I don't understand the drilled holes in the head but what do I know, keep us updated on your progress, good luck and stay safe.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Ahh, so this is why I have your long wish list sat on my computer for pricing up!
Harold2110

Post by Harold2110 »

Ajs comboman, Yep this is what its all for. Be kind the freight will be a killer.
Harold2110

Post by Harold2110 »

Colin, I'll post a pic tomorrow and show you what i mean about the head.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

cbranni wrote:I don't understand the drilled holes in the head
I remember seeing this done to café racers in the sixties - the reason given was to improve cooling.

Strange as the net effect will probably reduce the surface area of the head and thus will reduce the cooling effect :?

Regards Mick
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

My thoughts exactly Mick, oh well

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Harold2110 wrote:Ajs comboman, Yep this is what its all for. Be kind the freight will be a killer.
An order has been created on the system all Andy has to do is pick it out weigh it and get back to you with the total inc shipping.
Harold2110

Post by Harold2110 »

cbranni wrote:My thoughts exactly Mick, oh well

Colin
Here's the picture of the head, they would have spent some time on the drill pres, it looks like they was working on the principal of the more holes the better, perhaps they should have taken the fins off altogether that would have been perfect.
20200406_172415.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Perhaps it's to make a loud screeching attack sound like a JU 87. :? :? :?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein