My project 1955 18s

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
dave16mct

Re: My project 1955 18s

Post by dave16mct »

Them ozzie termites are fierce! :lol:
Dave.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Clearly its this:
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Harold2110

Post by Harold2110 »

PROGRESS REPORT

The Covid-19 timing is terrible.
Because of the shutdown,Ive got a restored speedo from Russel at Chronometris and a box of parts on the way from AMOC and they're are both stuck in freight halls somewhere between Britain an Australia.
As you would expect the bits in freight are the parts I need to finish the hubs and cylinder head and almost anything else I want to work on.
Apparently the freight could be held up for another two months.
Bugger.
Here's a few pics of progress so far.The gearbox was in great condition just bearings and seals and kick start lever and quadrant and gearbox lever and shaft .
The kickstart is new, the gear lever is made out of an old kickstart that had a good spline.
20200516_163238.jpg
20200516_163204.jpg
The engine has new main and big end bearings, the barrell is sleeved back to standard.
Cams were machined by Newman cams, I'm looking forward to how they perform.
The drive and timing shafts are new as is the oil pump. That work cost a bundle but hopefully it means a good reliable runner.
20200405_145111.jpg
At the moment I'm working on the tin-ware and frame, the only real damage was to the front mudgaurd which has been repaired, the rest is being blasted and ubdercoated ready for the first assembly.
Sorry about the sideways engine, I'm sure I will work out how to stop that by the time I get to my next post.

Harold
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Looks great. What was the kickstart you used for the gear change?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Harold2110

Post by Harold2110 »

Its was the original kick start off this gearbox, it has the same spline as the gearshift so i cut wedge at the spline end to and heated it to bend it back to a better angle and did the same at the other end.
The pedal part of the lever unscrews so I brazed that in and cut the shaft off flush and tapped it to take a steel bolt and brazed that in place that was the same size as the bearshift rubber
The lever was pretty heavy so the grinder took off a lot of weight before polishing and chrome.
It wasn't a big job and I get a nice steel chromed shift out of it.
Harold