Matchless G80CS 1959

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Cjay59_LAPSED

Re: Matchless G80CS 1959

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

Here is the Engine No info, yours would seem to be the correct engine for the bike 1959, but as Bjorn says it should have an AMC box, and you can't be sure if its the original engine and frame though they are correct age match. Also the start of the Heavyweight Singles chapter which goes through the development of the bikes and when changes were made.

My AJS 18S also has a B52 box in a 1957 frame which originally had a 350 engine.....
Matchless G80CS Engine No.jpg
Heavyweight Singles.jpg
AJS 18S.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Capitaine To

Post by Capitaine To »

I'm now better equipped, thanks Cjay59 for the recommendation

I'm slowly dismantling the bike, and trying to identify the modification done to this bike over the year.

I'm starting by the tank , as you have already seen there is a fuel tank strap

Do you think that this a cool option put a long time ago or something that i should remove?

if i remove it , how does the tank should be fixed at the rear ? i have no clue , is somebody have a picture ?

I would have to remove the big bump.....
Capitaine To

Post by Capitaine To »

Here are some news, of course, with the containment, they are plenty of time for unbuilding the bike.

Everything is very greasy , it preserve the bike from rusting. ;)

I don't find the way to remove the two screw under the swing arm , i removed the nut but there are no screw head on the other side. is it a key ?

The foot rest damaged a little bit the frame...

It seems that the clutch is an early AMC version.

I will give more pictures on the engine .

Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Capitaine To wrote:I don't find the way to remove the two screw under the swing arm , i removed the nut but there are no screw head on the other side. is it a key ?
Hi

Those are cotter pins - part number 022679 - they should be knocked upwards AFTER you have removed the swinging arm spindle - THEY WILL NOT COME OUT WITH THE SPINDLE IN PLACE.

Regards Mick
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Great capitals Mick, many have stuffed those up trying to get them out first.

Captaine To - Lots of damage can be done if the spindle isn't out. First time I did it I had read the red book first so it was one mistake I didn't make.

Johnny B
raffles

Post by raffles »

The petrol tank you have is certainly not correct. there are many pictures of the right one
Tony
Capitaine To

Post by Capitaine To »

I didn't manage yet to remove it ,

to make it clear, the green cotter pins has to be unbolt then push forward (arrow 1)
now i can remove the spindle in orange, and only i can remove the cotter pins (arow 3)

Johnny B , wich red book are you talking about ?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Not quite - undo the nuts, tap the cotter pins up until they move a little, withdraw the spindle, remove the cotter pins upwards.

Regards Mick

Edited to correct my brain fade, (the cotters are horizontal and not vertical :oops: ) so tap them back and withdraw backwards :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Mick D on Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Loosen the nut of the cotter pin, no need to remove it. Tap the cotter pin back with the nut in direction 1, only slightly to remove the tension on the spindle. Using a combination of stud bar and sockets pull the spindle out of the swingarm and the frame. Then remove the nut and the cotter pin will come out.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

They are not normal cotterpins, they have a scallop in then which is why they will not knock through, plus they need to go back in before the spindle:
http://www.jampot-spares.com/store/come ... duct=21516 a picture should help explain.