dynamo servicing tech guide ?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
asterysk_usa

dynamo servicing tech guide ?

Post by asterysk_usa »

Is there a tech article for servicing/refurb of the dynamo , I'm assuming it will mean replacement of springs and bushes and possibly bearing replacement but would be good to read about someone who has done it before. As an aside, the cost of a refurbished one seems high, which makes me think there might be something else that often goes wrong
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
ajscomboman

Re: dynamo servicing tech guide ?

Post by ajscomboman »

You can buy a service kit from e-bay which will have everything you need to overhaul a dynamo. Excludes brush holders and end cover naturally.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

ajscomboman wrote:You can buy a service kit from e-bay which will have everything you need to overhaul a dynamo. Excludes brush holders and end cover naturally.
or of course he will do it for you :lol:
Roy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

G15 Roy wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:You can buy a service kit from e-bay which will have everything you need to overhaul a dynamo. Excludes brush holders and end cover naturally.
or of course he will do it for you :lol:
Steady on now, you're the one who always told me to give up building work. After messing about with them for 30 odd yrs I'm only taking your advice! :beer:
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Check out the Bright spark magnetos website - http://brightsparkmagnetos.com/library/ ... /index.htm

Plenty of good info from original Lucas documents.

Regards Mick
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Check out the Bright spark magnetos website - http://brightsparkmagnetos.com/library/ ... /index.htm

Plenty of good info from original Lucas documents.

Regards Mick
Thankyou , that's an excellent source of information. I had my magneto refurbished at Bright Spark a few years back but had forgotten about the library.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

There's also another electrical and mechanical guide to our bikes which may be useful for future needs:........

https://matchlessclueless.com/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Well I've done mine twice now in 2 and a bit years and got some "lessons learned" (the hard way!). There are many other threads with various trials and tribulations, heres mine:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... lit=dynamo

Some very good advice from people like Groily and Co.

Things I've learnt include:

That current (no pun intended ... ) spares are not always precisely correct and may well need some engineering (rather than general) fettling like skimming the diameter of the bearing surface on the armature to get a good fit rather than relying on "persuassion".

Be very careful if you remove/change the field coil - the special tools listed in the contemporary service manuals are there for good reason; the arm screw driver enables you to pinch up the pole piece very, very tight (essential). The shoe expander stops you deforming the case when you are using the lever screw driver ....

A simple test is to isolate the dynamo, connect the F and D terminals together and to a suitable bulb with the other side of the bulb earthed. A fast idle / medium speed should light the bulb but don't over rev it.

You need to get the polarity of the field coil wrt the armature correct otherwise nothing happens.

Motoring the dynamo (connect D & F to the "live" side of the battery with the dynamo earthed to the otherside of the battery) demonstrates the basic soundness of the dynamo. The dynamo should rotate in the same direction as it is driven by the engine (anticlock looking at the drive sprocket)

.... and so much more!

HTH

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

One thing you can do to "wake it up", rather than putting current through the coil (which could cause it to burn out if you're not extremely careful) is to just use a strong magnet on the outside of the case right up against the flat head screw which holds the coil in place. I did this to wake up mine almost instantly.
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?