Oil plunger damage query

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
asterysk_usa

Oil plunger damage query

Post by asterysk_usa »

Found the gear slightly damaged , the photo doesn't show it too well but the gear ridge looks like it has lost about half its width at the West Point.

What would be my options on this ? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
clive

Re: Oil plunger damage query

Post by clive »

The club spares now have this pump plunger in stock 012967 (spares are only sold to fully paid up club members). The damage to yours looks like rust damage. Unusual. Before fitting a new one you should perhaps check the state of the worm drive on the crank drive shaft. I would also check for wear in the movement of the drive shaft in the phospher bronze bush.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

What Clive said, plus to add that your plunger will have '2S' stamped on one end and it will have a 1/4" wide annular groove for the guide pin. It is compatible with the 'two start' worm on the timing side axle which yours will be.
If you are tempted to buy other than from the club spares you must get one with the 2S stamping. Earlier plungers were unstamped and used with a 'one start' axle worm and had a 3/16" annular groove which will be unsuitable for your engine.
I understand that you are now a full member. :beer:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

clive wrote:Before fitting a new one you should perhaps check the state of the worm drive on the crank drive shaft. I would also check for wear in the movement of the drive shaft in the phospher bronze bush.
Assuming the worm drive is meant to have a square thread top then it looks good

Very little movement on the bronze bush.

1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

clive wrote:The club spares now have this pump plunger in stock 012967 (spares are only sold to fully paid up club members)..
I've just joined the club and will order a new plunger. Thx for the tip