1955 18S - swingarm bush query

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
asterysk_usa

1955 18S - swingarm bush query

Post by asterysk_usa »

I have just dismantled my 18S and removed the swingarm pin. I looked at the bronze sintered bearings in the swinging arm and they look pretty beaten up. I have a couple of queries:

1) The Roy Bacon book says they are oil lubricated but for the life of me I can't see how, they certainly don't look like they ever saw oil
2) the AJS spares catalogue lists oilite bronze inners , I was wondering what an "inner" was exactly
3) one of my bearings isn't fully 'home' in the arm, is the amount they are press fitted into the swinging arm variable or is there some kind of packing that was missing on mine.
4) in the spares catalogue I see quite a few parts listed (felt washer etc) that were not fitted to mine, could someone kindly advise what would be the full list of spares I should order and where I can get a diagram of the assembly
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
Rob Harknett

Re: 1955 18S - swingarm bush query

Post by Rob Harknett »

Parts listed but not fitted should be fitted, like felt oil seals.
look in tech tips.
http://www.jampot.com/article_read.asp?id=227
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I rebuilt the swinging arm of my '55 AJS M18s a couple of weeks ago. I replaced the pin, the felt washers (the white items in the photo), the end plates (with retaining 'spoke') and the two paper gaskets behind the end plates. The bushes didn't need replacing, fortunately. If you fit new ones, they may need to be line reamed to fit the pin.
The position of the bushes in the swinging arm controls the side to side end play. The should be a 'fit' to the aluminium carrier. Free to move, but no slop.
The screw in the right hand end plate is the oil filler. Once it's been assembled, fill with SAE140 monograde mineral oil. Don't be tempted to use grease!!

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Reply moved to the Dubai chap's Jampot rebuild thread.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Hi, PM me with your email and I will send you an article I wrote for Jampot on replacing bushes. Andy
Beefheart

Post by Beefheart »

I recently replaced the bushes and pin on my 53 G3 project there was no need to ream, but I had put the casting in direct sunlight in the conservatory for a few days before and the pin in the freezer. It all went together quite well with a few hefty taps from a soft headed hammer.
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

Pharisee wrote:I rebuilt the swinging arm of my '55 AJS M18s a couple of weeks ago. I replaced the pin, the felt washers (the white items in the photo), the end plates (with retaining 'spoke') and the two paper gaskets behind the end plates. The bushes didn't need replacing, fortunately. If you fit new ones, they may need to be line reamed to fit the pin.
The position of the bushes in the swinging arm controls the side to side end play. The should be a 'fit' to the aluminium carrier. Free to move, but no slop.
The screw in the right hand end plate is the oil filler. Once it's been assembled, fill with SAE140 monograde mineral oil. Don't be tempted to use grease!!

can I ask where you got the replacement end plates from ? thx
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I bought my end caps 01095/6 from AMC Classic Spares

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I bought my end caps 01095/6 from AMC Classic Spares

Regards Mick
Mick... you've missed out a "0". The part numbers are 010095/6 and I bought mine from the club spares dept. :D

John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Hi Andy51,

In lots of the threads about swinging arm pin/bush procedure your name keeps coming up in relation to an article you wrote. I've tried to PM you but for some reason I don't think it sends (technology hey - or is it me).

Could you message me as I'd like to get my mitts on t'article.

Many thanks

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk