G80 RIGID Rear Wheel Bearing Conundrum

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
G80RIGID

G80 RIGID Rear Wheel Bearing Conundrum

Post by G80RIGID »

I've just taken apart the rear hub on my 1946 G80 rigid. It has the original adjustable tapered roller bearing set up - and these appear to be in very good condition BUT I suspect from the wear pattern on the wheel spindle that this has been spinning inside the hollow bearing tube whilst the bearings themselves have been inoperative due to the old and caked-up grease therein ! I have a new replacement wheel spindle and have thoroughly cleaned and reassembled the hub bearings. However - the new spindle still turns more freely inside the bearing tube than the bearings themselves operating correctly, and I suspect the same is going to happen again !! Does anyone have any experience of this issue - and is there a recognised remedy ? I am considering loctiting the wheel spindle inside the bearing inner tube. Many Thanks, Paul
clive

Re: G80 RIGID Rear Wheel Bearing Conundrum

Post by clive »

The wheel spindle cannot spin "inside the hollow tube" its bolted up both sides. If there is wear it must be the inner tube rotating. There should be spacers locking this when the inner spindle is tightened. So my assumption is you have a missing spacer or wrong size one.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix