What goes in the hole

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
clive

Re: What goes in the hole

Post by clive »

Pharisee wrote:This is the bit you need :-

http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=21502
Absolutely not. This is too thick and not pliant enough for the N1. It is intended for use with the SR1 magneto which has a flatter shape and even then may be a bit thick and need shaving. The question was about an N1 as in the photo not the SR1.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clive wrote:

Absolutely not. This is too thick and not pliant enough for the N1. It is intended for use with the SR1 magneto which has a flatter shape and even then may be a bit thick and need shaving. The question was about an N1 as in the photo not the SR1.
The rubber that was suggested was indeed for use with an SR1 mag. I did make a point of saying that, and what I used. I am also sure the rubber was only fitted to compt. machines using SR1 mag. I have no such rubbers on a bike with any other mag fitted. I do not recall having the rubber on my 55 G3LS with SR1 mag years ago. But have one on such a bike now. Parts list may confirm if my memory is correct.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

I have also n N1 mag and got my 'washer' from Steve at AMC Classic Spares. It is very solid to the touch and also didn't seem to be pliant enough, so much so that I thought it wouldn't seal, or compress enough to work, but it does.

I was adamant it wouldn't work as I simply didn't believe it could compress enough, but when all of the screws are tightened it did compress enough to work, with no problems at all...... I doubt it differs much from the club supplied items.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

clive wrote:

My bad... sorry. I'll get me coat.... :oops:
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

I had that rare delight whereby one of the myriad things I ‘squirrel away' worked perfectly on my ‘54 G80CS NR1 namely a headlight wiring grommet. Perfect fit to the back of the timing case and clear of the armature shaft to allow adjustment. It replaced an original felt seal which crumbled on disassembly.

Iron Head
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Pharisee wrote:
clive wrote:

My bad... sorry. I'll get me coat.... :oops:
I've updated the parts description to indicate only for SR1 magnetos.

For the NR1 use 022178, it's listed for comp models but will fit tourers with N1 magnetos

Post by 1608 »

Nobody has answered the "What goes in the hole" yet though!
clive

Post by clive »

clive wrote:Nothing listed ( for tourers)

[Quote ="comboman" ].........For the NR1 use 022178, it's listed for comp models but will fit tourers with N1 magnetos
[/quote]
1608 wrote:Nobody has answered the "What goes in the hole" yet though!
How so? Keep up at the back!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix