Gear change 48 Matchless G80

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Eamonn must be on his hols., otherwise there would be some slapped wrists, this is the 'Help' Forum.

areg

Post by areg »

Oh oh, let us get back on topic before we get moderated.

Biscuit, the gearbox situation turned out to be the wrong indexing of the 0's, all is well thanks a bunch.

Edited by - areg on 26 Aug 2006 3:41:27 PM
Life is too short, don't take it too seriously.
Steve Martin

Post by Steve Martin »

Hi Areg, reference your question on the Yahoo site on how to distinguish the grease filled C.P. Box from the later oil version:

The quickest and easiest way is to remove the gear indicator pointer to make visible the end of the hollow gear change shaft. If the end of the shaft is flush all the way to the gear indicator shaft, you've got a grease box. If there is a rebate [about half the shaft thickness] around the indicator shaft, this is where the felt seal goes on the oil filled version.
The rear face of the gear change lever boss provides another clue, but is less reliable because the gear lever may not be original and correct. The lever for the grease box is again flush, while the oil version has a recess around the fitting hole to provide a location for another, larger, felt washer to seal the gear change shaft and bush.
There are several other detail differences: eg. the oil type Kick-start shaft also has a seal, while the mainshaft sleeve gear has a proper oil seal rather than a dirt excluding felt washer. This has a knock on effect on some of the related bushes; the earlier ones are longer, by about 1/16" or more, as I found when I bought a load of NOS WD parts from Russells, some time ago, before I realised that my box was '49! Fortunately, because they were longer it was possible to have them machined to match the other '49 parts.
I hope this might help you should you need to replace any parts , eg by auto-jumble; if possible take your items with you to carefully compare with those on offer.

Keep us posted on your progress! Cheers, Steve.
areg

Post by areg »

Thanks Steve, everything you mentioned without exception points to the box being the grease version, including the number stamped on it.

Having established that I still can not see the logic in providing a drain plug for the box and how on earth grease gets through the two small holes that connect the first compartment that houses the gearchange and kickstart mechanism to the second which houses the gears etc.
Life is too short, don't take it too seriously.
itma

Post by itma »

There is no logic in some of these things,
however, the drain plug provides great way to inject grease into the box it self.
when the outer case is off liberally grease every thing you can see, then chuck in some 50 grade when all is assembled.
It works, its not logical,it may leak,it may not, so don`t worry about it.
On that other site, that some one has mentioned, [blasphemey] they will waffle on endlessly on this subject if you can be bothered to sit and read through it all.
On this site mostly folk ride their bikes
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Yeah, but on the other site they don't ride cats!
Cheers, Don.
Steve Martin

Post by Steve Martin »

Sorry Ken, but I had to find something to do while waiting for the DVLA to return my V5C; and I'm more into dogs. [ Canines, not most of my bikes!]
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Isn't Spriddler our resident expert on dogs?