piston rings

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
cfaber

piston rings

Post by cfaber »

Can someone point me to a source for piston rings for a 52/.74 standard piston?
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
cbranni

Re: piston rings

Post by cbranni »

I source my rings from Cox and Turner in the UK.

https://www.coxandturner.co.uk/

Kind regards Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Cox & Turner, I thoroughly endorse them. I ordered the rings for my new (to me) Robbins piston G80 +60 tney arrived here, France within a week. Good stuff. I got my rebored cylinder back last Friday, all excited to fit said rings and promptly cracked the scraper in the vice when I went to file it to size, they're sending me a replacement. I may not be too clever :oops: but Cox & Turner, very good.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Dave T wrote:Cox & Turner, I thoroughly endorse them. I ordered the rings for my new (to me) Robbins piston G80 +60 tney arrived here, France within a week. Good stuff. I got my rebored cylinder back last Friday, all excited to fit said rings and promptly cracked the scraper in the vice when I went to file it to size, they're sending me a replacement. I may not be too clever :oops: but Cox & Turner, very good.
I carefully gap rings on a fine grind stone. Its how I saw an expert engine builder do it years ago.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Thanks for the suggestions folks!
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Dave T wrote:Cox & Turner, I thoroughly endorse them. I ordered the rings for my new (to me) Robbins piston G80 +60 tney arrived here, France within a week. Good stuff. I got my rebored cylinder back last Friday, all excited to fit said rings and promptly cracked the scraper in the vice when I went to file it to size, they're sending me a replacement. I may not be too clever :oops: but Cox & Turner, very good.

Silly boy Dave. Rings in a vice!!! Best way to gap a ring is clamp a file in the vice, take the ring in each hand either side of the gap. Place the ring on the file and squeeze the ring till it contacts the file then gently slide the ring on the file it one direction. repeat the process keeping the ring as close to square as possible with the file until the gap is the size you require in the bore.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Well there you go, thanks for the technique ! I must admit I'm a bit of a twat at times, never liked putting them in the vice in the first place! I had put the ring in a clothes peg to limit the depth and it's softer i.e. safer? No, it crushed and crushed the ring, I thought the solid part of the scraper was longer than it was :headbang: From now on I shall use your technique Ajs combodude again thanks, next time you're in my neck of the woods feel free to call in, I owe you one :beer:
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

I have some fine grind stones also,so, Rob I will try each method and report back on which I find most reassuring in the "not snapping the ring like a complete numpty" stakes!!
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Not as much of a ‘numpty' as me Dave. I spent nearly two days one Easter trying to reduce ‘lap' the thickness of some correct diameter pattern rings I found on the web to fit my G80 Hepolite. I had grades of wet and dry on a thick piece of glass and loads of soap and water. Even wearing work gloves (that of course wore through) and a ‘fixture', which was the base of a tin can, I managed to take most of my fingerprints off on my right hand - the underworld would have been proud of me! The ring was surprisingly square and accurate on the one I completed.

Then I woke from the nightmare and found Cox & Turner who were my salvation.

Iron Head
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Feel better now! :D