18CS Swinging Arm Lubrication (again)

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Halfwhelk

18CS Swinging Arm Lubrication (again)

Post by Halfwhelk »

Hello,
My first post on this forum.
I have just acquired a 1955 18CS and I'm giving it a deep service before I run it.
I'm trying to lubricate the swinging arm bushes. The manual says add heavy gear oil through the hole in the end cap.
So, my questions are:
What type? I have seen anything from SAE 50 to 140 mentioned here - I was going to use 90 as I aleady have some. Too thin?
How do you get it in? I assumed through the off centre screw hole in the right hand end cap, but the hole is blocked on the inside by the bush and I can see no means of pouring oil through the hole.
Thanks.
Mick D

Re: 18CS Swinging Arm Lubrication (again)

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The specified oil is 140 SAE and it is introduced via the off centre screw hole in the singing arm bearing RH cap - I use a hypodermic syringe.
I believe the screw also acts as a level plug and should be installed in the 09:00 position to allow access around the oil pipes.

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

You can buy a syringe at your local pharmacy although they may look at you with raised eyebrows unless you look the part! I also find the oil damages the rubber in the slide and it is all jammed next time you come to use it for whatever reason.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Always had felt seal on my 55 G3LS S/A not rubber Clive. States felt in the parts list. If rubber is now an alternative then its not good. Cut your own from felt, Perhaps even 2/3 to get thickness correct. I use a filling dodge when you have a small hole to get fluid in. Get a small funnel that will fit in small dia tube. Make it long enough to go round bends for awkward places. If you have an empty Distilled Water bottle you have all what you need. Tube fits bottle, cut the top off the bottle to form the funnel. Another dodge on S/A if you have side play. Lean bike against a brick wall. Cut a bit of wood, Broom handle will do, cut long enough to but up to one S/A cover plate, long enough to hold the bike off the wall. So the bike is now propped against the bit of broom handle. Using another bit of broom handle, place against the other S/A cover plate, give it a whack with a heavy hammer. Play gone, check S/A spoke screw for tightness.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:Always had felt seal on my 55 G3LS S/A not rubber Clive. States felt in the parts list. If rubber is now an alternative then its not good. Cut your own from felt, Perhaps even 2/3 to get thickness correct. I use a filling dodge when you have a small hole to get fluid in. Get a small funnel that will fit in small dia tube. Make it long enough to go round bends for awkward places. If you have an empty Distilled Water bottle you have all what you need. Tube fits bottle, cut the top off the bottle to form the funnel. Another dodge on S/A if you have side play. Lean bike against a brick wall. Cut a bit of wood, Broom handle will do, cut long enough to but up to one S/A cover plate, long enough to hold the bike off the wall. So the bike is now propped against the bit of broom handle. Using another bit of broom handle, place against the other S/A cover plate, give it a whack with a heavy hammer. Play gone

Rob, what the hell are you on about? Clive is talking about the oil attacking the rubber seal in the syringe!!!! :headbang:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:Always had felt seal on my 55 G3LS S/A not rubber Clive. States felt in the parts list. If rubber is now an alternative then its not good. Cut your own from felt, Perhaps even 2/3 to get thickness correct. I use a filling dodge when you have a small hole to get fluid in. Get a small funnel that will fit in small dia tube. Make it long enough to go round bends for awkward places. If you have an empty Distilled Water bottle you have all what you need. Tube fits bottle, cut the top off the bottle to form the funnel. Another dodge on S/A if you have side play. Lean bike against a brick wall. Cut a bit of wood, Broom handle will do, cut long enough to but up to one S/A cover plate, long enough to hold the bike off the wall. So the bike is now propped against the bit of broom handle. Using another bit of broom handle, place against the other S/A cover plate, give it a whack with a heavy hammer. Play gone

Rob, what the hell are you on about? Clive is talking about the oil attacking the rubber seal in the syringe!!!! :headbang:
Ha ha I wanted to see you hit your head on the wall Rob. ( Yea missed a point there ) Yes syringe rubber will go soggy. I have used them for plastics adhesives, this was fluid like water. It attacked the plastic and sort of welded not actually stick, They were used all day and lasted ages before going soggy. So should last even longer on a short job injecting oil. Just make sure you clean the rubber after use, perhaps with soapy water. Oil will only be in contact with rubber for a few minutes in use only. So last much longer. We never left syringes filled when not in use. If you want to stick plastics but cannot get the trade stuff. Use paint stripper. Not as clean as the proper stuff which is clear, but does the same job. Note it will only stick plastics like Acrylic, Styreen, PVC etc.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome Matt (275x183).jpg
(See what I did there? Subtle or what!). ;)

Go easy on the headstock when you're brandishing the grease gun as you can go on pumping and pumping as there's nothing to stop a gun-full of grease migrating into the frame. Likewise the wheel hubs as there's no effective seal but just a thick'ish felt washer to prevent the grease getting onto the brake linings. I wouldn't grease 'new to me' uninspected hubs at all unless they feel dry when spinning the wheels, but if you really must then two or three pumps at most will be enough.
BTW - some modern brake and clutch cables (Teflon lined ones) shouldn't be oiled at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:

Ha ha I wanted to see you hit your head on the wall Rob. ( Yea missed a point there ) Yes syringe rubber will go soggy. I have used them for plastics adhesives, this was fluid like water. It attacked the plastic and sort of welded not actually stick, They were used all day and lasted ages before going soggy. So should last even longer on a short job injecting oil. Just make sure you clean the rubber after use, perhaps with soapy water. Oil will only be in contact with rubber for a few minutes in use only. So last much longer. We never left syringes filled when not in use. If you want to stick plastics but cannot get the trade stuff. Use paint stripper. Not as clean as the proper stuff which is clear, but does the same job. Note it will only stick plastics like Acrylic, Styreen, PVC etc.

Well it hurts now! :rofl: :rofl:
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Or for those of us North of the Border:
Weclome.png
;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote:You can buy a syringe at your local pharmacy although they may look at you with raised eyebrows .....
..........especially if you ask the pharmacist for a hypodeemic nerdle.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'