18CS Swinging Arm Lubrication (again)

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Re: 18CS Swinging Arm Lubrication (again)

Post by Pharisee »

I use SAE140 and put it in with a small pump type oil can with a short length of silicone rubber tube on the nozzle. Incidentally, my filler plug is at the 12 o'clock position and clears the oil pipes OK.

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Just replaced my s/a pin and bushes, it had GREASE in the tube!! One side of the pin had rusted and was loose. All snugly back together now so here's my question : how often do I need to check or replenish the D140 I've put in it?
Thanks, Dave.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The bushes are oilite and will retain lubrication, the seals are felt and will slowly allow the oil to escape, once you no longer have a mysterious oil leak that you cant quite pin down it is probably time to top it up, your hand book will probably say indefinitely, depending on mileage annually should do.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Thank you Duncan, I read something like that but it seemed a bit imprecise to me . One thing though, however am I going to find a noil leak that has stopped amongst all the others that have sprung up???? :lol:
However, let's face it, D140 ain't goin' nowhere fast!
Cheers, Dave.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I'm a bit of a softy these days and my bikes get taken off the road as soon as they start spreading salt. They each get a service in the spring before I start riding them again and the swinging arm reservoir gets topped up then.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Yes, I think that's a good idea, manually, or once a year, sounds about right or as I am becoming now, " when I get a round tooit."
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Dave, I refill my M31 swinging arm every 1000 miles , the same time as I change the chaincase oil. many years ago my Twingle failed it's MoT through wear in the swinging arm, it turned out to be the spindle being worn on the drive side through lack of lubricant. A new part cured the problem plus oiling it every 1000 miles!
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Mine was the drive side too, it was pitted so it had obviously rusted at some time i.e. had water in it though it was silvery now. Strange that all the grease and oily goo from the chain didn't help. Hell, it's a sixty year old bike who knows what it's had done to it, I'm just glad it has suffered a bit of TLC and is in nice condition generally!
Halfwhelk

Post by Halfwhelk »

Thanks for the advice and the welcome.
I have made a gravity oiler (attached) which I can leave on overnight/weekend.
I wonder how long it will take for SAE140 to run through the tiny hole?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Smart. Afraid I lost patience with SAE140 and regularly squirt SAE50 into the hole with a hypo.

Johnny B