AJS Model 18CS - unusual parts identification

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Feral

AJS Model 18CS - unusual parts identification

Post by Feral »

Hello to all,

I started a thread a while back about the same subject, I now have more pictures small enough to upload, so I am repeating my quest for information. See below.

Although I have owned a couple of AJS for a few years, I am just getting around to sorting them out and I am a novice to the marque. I am hoping that somebody out there can tell me about my bike.

It looks like a Model 18CS, but the engine and frame numbers have been messed about with making it impossible for the dating team from the club to identify it, so I was hoping that the keen eyed amongst you can help me out.

The bike is clearly a bitsa, cobbled together from what ever parts were available.

I have done some research online and asked a few local enthusiasts what parts it could have been made up from, but I am stumped when it comes to the frame. It is obviously a heavy weight frame, but the sub frame is unusual as it has a bracket low down on the near side, just above the rear foot rest bracket (see attachment) and another bracket, but shaped differently on the off side. I would appreciate it if somebody could tell me what these are for and which bike the frame came from originally.

I have trawled the internet and parts manuals and as yet not found a single picture or diagram with these brackets. If they were intended for a side car, why can't I find a picture? There must have been lots made.

There are some other obvious anomalies, the rear mudguard bracket is too long and the there have been some strengthening plates crudely welded in front of the jampot mounts.

To give you all the information that I have, I believe the engine is as the V5 states, a 500cc, but I won't know for sure until I take a look inside. The V5 states that it is a 1951 model, but the true year is anyone's guess.

I believe that the forks are from a 1947/8 model as they have fill holes as appose to drain holes (I would like confirmation of this). This would tie in with the gear gear box as that is a 1948. Apart from the rims being changed to alloy and 18 inch on the back, that is as far as I have got.

I would appreciate any guidance so that I can confidently order parts in the future.

PS I will have to place the rest of the pictures in another thread due to forum limits.
AJS Model 18 LH side bracket resized.jpg
AJS Model 18 Left side resized.jpg
AJS Model 18 Fork fill hole resized..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Feral

AJS Model 18CS - unusual parts indentification part 2

Post by Feral »

Please see the pictures below - to be viewed in conjunction with part 1
AJS Model 18 RH side bracket. resized.jpg
AJS Model 18 Right side resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Re: AJS Model 18CS - unusual parts identification

Post by clive »

Yes the forks are earlier, looks like the filling holes have been brutally repaired. The engine looks to be a 500 from the size of the barrel and is through bolted into the crankcase so is a competition engine, post 56 I think, unless the welding on the fork legs suggests a PO was keen on ally welding and changed the crankcase. Cannot help with the bracket on the frame.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Feral

Post by Feral »

Thanks Clive,

I have read somewhere on my quest that some of the trials guys used to convert their forks to this style, i.e. fill the drain holes and fit the fill holes. Is there any truth in this? What would have been the advantage?

I can't see any evidence of there ever being drain holes on my forks, but age and corrosion could be hiding it.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I think the frame is from a TT Clubmans. There were several built for the 1951/2 Clubmans TT. Most were twins but there were also singles. The brackets are for rear sets. On the nearside the boss is for the short brake pedal. There is a picture in the Bacon restoration book and also some on google. I have a frame and I know of 2 others. I did see a single at the Mersea Island Jampot years ago. This one had the rearsets in use but otherwise looked like a CS. Your frame has extra strengthening added for the jampots and steering head.
Dave.
clive

Post by clive »

No evidence the forks were originally bottom drained. Normally the wd type forks were used with a smaller earlier brake hub, lighter for trials usually a 350. These smaller brakes did not use a brake arm but were secured by a stud extending from half way up the inside of the left hand slider. Yours may be using two of the right hand sliders without the stud as it has the brake arm. They may have been replaced following damage as wd surplus was sold off some years ago.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Feral

Post by Feral »

Thanks fellas,

That is amazing information. I have found a matchless TT Clubman on line and that is what it is (Cheers Dave).

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/13352/lot/203/

I now have more questions. What is the bar attached to the bracket on the right hand side doing?

Is that a second flip down foot peg that I can see on the left hand side?

All this goes some way to explaining why the rear brake lever looks as though it has some parts missing, despite working perfectly.

It is a shame that only the last two numbers look original, as I might be able to find out more. 33 are the last two numbers if you are interested.

Please keep the knowledge flowing!

Cheers John
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The rearsets were fold-up type, same as pillion rests. The 'bar' on the r/h side is the rearset footrest with no rubber. Yes that's the rearset rest on the other side. Strange how pillion rests were fitted but probably gave a lower crouch for the mountain!
Dave.
Feral

Post by Feral »

Dave, you are legend.

Why have two different types of bracket? Maybe I am asking too much on that one.

Does anyone know where I could get a pair of rear sets?

Is there a separate parts list/manual for a TT Clubmans?
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Feral wrote:Does anyone know where I could get a pair of rear sets?
John, should be relatively easy, reverse the gear change, fit a pair of pillion foot rests in the rearset position and modify a brake lever using the Bonham's picture as a guide, should make an interesting project to recreate the TT Clubman.