AJS Model 18CS - unusual parts identification

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Feral

Re: AJS Model 18CS - unusual parts identification

Post by Feral »

Thanks Clive and Cjay59,

as always that is very helpful. The clutch is currently stuck, so will need to come apart. I might as well take a look in the gearbox at the same time. I am also concerned that if it has a 350 crank, it will be out of balance, so I can see a full pull down coming on for peace of mind.

Cjay that light looks amazing, if I could find one like that, I would stick on as it is. It would suit the worn look that my bike has.

Thanks again to all contributors, I have gained a lot of insight, all that I need to now is to put it into practice and get it on the road. Let the battered knuckle fun begin! :D
Feral

Post by Feral »

For your interest!

I knew that I had read something about forks with fill holes, I just got my years wrong.

Bottom of Page 65, top of page 66- no mention of drain holes until 1948

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... dition.pdf
Dixter

Post by Dixter »

Cjay59 wrote:Hi Dixter,

thank you for your kind appreciation of my machine, doing a few things to it over the next few months so will post a few photo's later in the year. Hope your not getting frozen, some of the US seems to be arctic at the moment. Love the list of your stable of machines, sounds a bit "What's in the Barn".

The front is a Mitas Trials, The rear is a Dunlop Universal,

keep in touch, how you getting on with that G80L?
Ciao Clifford: We are dodging the Polar Vortex and staying warm. Thanks for the info on the tires on your lovely bike. Mitas were a brand unknown to me, and are high on a short list of 'trials universal" looking rubber for a M18 project later this summer.

The G80L is finished. I have kept a low profile on showing this bike on computer groups centered anywhere near the Greenwich meridian. Its not at all a "proper" G80L and I'm concerned the Constable in Charge of Originality will kick me off the site. On the off-chance PC Wrightness is off having a cuppa, here's a photo and short video of said G80L.

IMG_8410.jpg
NB: this is in essence a brand new motorcycle. It was assembled in the summer of 2018 from individual parts I'd been collecting for 45 years. Other than the '46 engine cases with flywheels, an E3L dynamo, and an old monobloc which I had sleeved, almost every other part was a piece here a piece there, all reworked to be mechanically perfect, but cosmetically 'as is'. The tank is an India repop, the alloy fenders are 1/8" thick and new, the lighting switch homemade.

Ciao, DC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick Casey
The RideNut
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Looks good..... it's good to be different. I use Mitas knobblies on the Beast. They hold the road well.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
clive

Post by clive »

Dixter, is that an LED in your interesting headlight? Has the the speedo got a cable, is it electronic? Interesting bike.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

Hi Dixter,

No wonder she purrs like a kitten, fabulous video, enjoyed it very much, and from the smile on your face, worth every minute. Had a great time when I visited Washington a number of years ago, travelled through coming down from NY, stayed over, then carried on down to Virginia, the Air and Space, and art galleries are the best ever, left me quite speechless.

The others are off fighting over Brexit, they probably have some 'Jammie Dodgers' to go with their cuppa, but I thought this might be some inspiration for your M18 project, wouldn't work to well on the roads here, but I think its the 'Dog's Bollocks',
AJS 18M 1953 001.jpg
Loved the way you collected the parts and put it together when you were ready, brilliant. My other bike, which I bought over forty years ago, is my AJS Stormer, which wasn't built in Plumstead, you may enjoy a read of my website, while your frozen in, best wishes Cliff.

https://ajsstormer.wordpress.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Tasty!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Beautiful bikes, Cliff and Dick. They're just asking to be ridden!

Dick's series of superb YouTube videos of how to fix the common issues (stripped c/case threads, Burman clutch 'wobble' etc. etc.) would be a valuable addition to the 'Tech. articles' on here.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Dixter

Post by Dixter »

Cjay59 wrote:Hi Dixter,

Loved the way you collected the parts and put it together when you were ready, brilliant. My other bike, which I bought over forty years ago, is my AJS Stormer, which wasn't built in Plumstead, you may enjoy a read of my website, while you are frozen in , best wishes Cliff.

https://ajsstormer.wordpress.com/
Cliff, I must 'come clean' I dodged the Polar Vortex by Snow-Birding my tail to Palm Springs, Cailforney, for the season. Thanks for the link to your Stormer web site. I love those bikes!

Clive, Good eyes, Young Man! I have since added a NOS Smiths cable to drive the Speedo. I was short on time when I went out on a long trip, and did not want to damage the speedo by driving it before I serviced it. I have since stripped the chronometric, reset the odometers, cleaned and oiled the clock works, and rotated the needle a few MPH to gain a more accurate speed indication at 40 - 50 MPH. I don't have any adjusting washers for the escapement.

The lamp is LED powered now. It was an auxiliary side light for an automobile back in the 30's is my belief. One can see it was an old oil lamp. Placing the LED in the wick holder helps gain a bit more "collimated light" from the concave reflector on the back wall of the lamp. It is not at all suitable for riding at night, But bright e'nuff to keep the cops off my tail, and it helps me being seen.

Below are some additional photos of the LED assembly.
IMG_3869.jpg
IMG_3868.jpg
Ciao, DC
Dick Casey
The RideNut