Ebay motor

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Cjay59_LAPSED

Re: Ebay motor

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

Brilliant, Clive I'll try that, thanks Cliff
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Cjay59 wrote:And what is the "B" stamped on Sykes engine mean?
Who knows for certain why that may be. However I've read on one of the WD or AFS websites that some/most/many (?) bikes supplied in the 40's and 50's for military or civil use had a 'B' or an 'A' stamped on the c/case by the engine number. The 'A' stood for Amal cables and the 'B' for Bowden cables. :? No, and I also have absolutely no idea what relevance the type of cables had to the engine either but the website has a couple of photos of engines stamped with either A or B by the engine number.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

SPRIDDLER wrote:The 'A' stood for Amal cables and the 'B' for Bowden cables. :? No, and I also have absolutely no idea what relevance the type of cables had to the engine either but the website has a couple of photos of engines stamped with either A or B by the engine number.
Perhaps it helped in the servicing department when replacing the cables to have the engine clearly indicating which type was fitted.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Here' the website referring to A and B c/case stampings, and a few more, e.g 'B/W' meant Base workshop:

http://www.matchlesswd.co.uk/engine-and-frame-numbers/
les ward

Post by les ward »

The B stamp on the engine number denotes a difference in the bearings fitted.

When I was machine dating officer I was told that the B indicated Bowden controls and I always thought that would be obvious and not related to the engine, so why stamp it on the engine.

Barry Robinson found the answer in one of the factory handbooks that explained the difference in the bearings fitted. Hopefully he will be along with the exact quote if he reads this.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Thanks Les. In which case the matchlesswd.co.uk website with the snipped info below needs correcting but I don't think anyone maintains it these days.
WD ccase nos 2 (640x384).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BRobbo

Post by BRobbo »

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but the question of what the B stands for which is stamped on the LH crankcase of 47/48 singles has cropped up again on a facebook site stating this stands for Bowden (presumably controls or levers). As I mentioned in a previous post F W Neill in "Matchless Motorcycles" states at Chapter V1, page 106. "Engines with B included in the engine number indicate a plain bush the latest type"