Fork sliders

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Re: Fork sliders

Post by Pharisee »

One thing to remember is the rebound spring inside the fork slider. The first time I used my method, I held the slider in the vice, supported the stanchion with my left hand while screwing in the studding with my right. It's the compressed rebound spring that actually pushes out the seal and plastic (or bronze) bush. When the seal finally lets go, the compressed spring fires the bush and seal up the stanchion.... which I was holding. Brought tears to my eyes, did that... and a few rude words!!
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Late entry. I had ally welding on one of my stanchions a longh time ago and now can't even see which one! Pick a reliable firm.

I really need to replace the extensions which are rusty and a seal which is leaking (and probably other elements) as it's so long since I did rebuild. Great tip Pharisee especially as I have some spare stdding from making up the puller for re-assembling.

Bookmarking now.

Johnny B
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

Pharisee wrote:One thing to remember is the rebound spring inside the fork slider. The first time I used my method, I held the slider in the vice, supported the stanchion with my left hand while screwing in the studding with my right. It's the compressed rebound spring that actually pushes out the seal and plastic (or bronze) bush. When the seal finally lets go, the compressed spring fires the bush and seal up the stanchion.... which I was holding. Brought tears to my eyes, did that... and a few rude words!!
I was struggling to remove a fork slider this afternoon. I made a 'pusher' tool just like yours and it worked a treat. I also made the same mistake about holding the stanchion..... when the bush finally let go the language in my workshop was not good; thankfully there was no one else around.