Fork sliders

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
bitza

Re: Fork sliders

Post by bitza »

Like mick D posted to make sure the shoulder is slightly below or just flush. I hope it works out fine.
arthurmatchless

Post by arthurmatchless »

I also have problems with my replacement front forks. I believe they are from a 1956 AJS (my bike is a 1946 G3L conveted to G8L) but I dont know if they are 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 How can I tell? I would like to buy the club stainless steel fork slider extensions. Secondly, the lug on the bottom aluminium slider on the RHS has broken off. Can I get a replacement (new or s/hand) or should I try to get it allly welded? Thirdly,is it essential to have the special tool to pull the fork tube up into the yoke? I note the club tool is £73!
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The dimension is the diameter of the stanchion.

Replacement 1 - 1/4" sliders are available but at a price - AMC Classic Spares may be able to help with a second hand one - welding is a difficult option and may not be successful.

Yes, the fork tool is required but there are much cheaper options available, check club spares and AMC Classic

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

arthurmatchless wrote:I also have problems with my replacement front forks. I believe they are from a 1956 AJS (my bike is a 1946 G3L conveted to G8L) but I dont know if they are 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 How can I tell? I would like to buy the club stainless steel fork slider extensions. Secondly, the lug on the bottom aluminium slider on the RHS has broken off. Can I get a replacement (new or s/hand) or should I try to get it allly welded? Thirdly,is it essential to have the special tool to pull the fork tube up into the yoke? I note the club tool is £73!
No, that's the dismantling tool not the pulling tool, but we're out of stock of the puller.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

ajscomboman wrote:
arthurmatchless wrote:I also have problems with my replacement front forks. I believe they are from a 1956 AJS (my bike is a 1946 G3L conveted to G8L) but I dont know if they are 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 How can I tell? I would like to buy the club stainless steel fork slider extensions. Secondly, the lug on the bottom aluminium slider on the RHS has broken off. Can I get a replacement (new or s/hand) or should I try to get it allly welded? Thirdly,is it essential to have the special tool to pull the fork tube up into the yoke? I note the club tool is £73!
No, that's the dismantling tool not the pulling tool, but we're out of stock of the puller.
Just had a look at the above mentioned fork dismantling tool on the AMOC Spares website. The picture only seems to show a part of it. How is it used, please?

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

You attach one end (the one not shown) using a fork puller, and the bit shown in the pictures "takes place" of your wheel spindle. You then just slowly do the nut at the far end up which "cranks" the slider out like a hot knife through butter. (Works a treat)
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

So effectively it's just for removing the oil seals, yes?

Didn't know this tool existed - when I dis-assembled my forks I found no need for it, perhaps I was just lucky.

Rather expensive if the price doesn't include the puller.

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Ok... so it just literally pulls the forks apart... for seventy three of our fine Great British Pounds. Hmmm

I push them apart with a steel disc I bought off eBay, a length of 3/8" studding and a couple of Allen screws... Cost... less than a tenner.

I'm sure someone will come along and tell me how and why I'm doing it all wrong but it works for me!!
IMG_0444.jpg
18S_2610.jpg
18S_2608.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Nowt wrong with John's, (Pharisee), solution, if the seals are 'difficult' it's the method I'd use.

Draining the forks, (leave the drain screws out), gripping the slider in a vice and yanking the stanchion from full compression to full extension a few times had my seals out in seconds.

Regards Mick
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

Pharisee wrote:Ok... so it just literally pulls the forks apart... for seventy three of our fine Great British Pounds. Hmmm

I push them apart with a steel disc I bought off eBay, a length of 3/8" studding and a couple of Allen screws... Cost... less than a tenner.

I'm sure someone will come along and tell me how and why I'm doing it all wrong but it works for me!!
My forks were crazy hard to get apart and stupidly I had forgotten about Pharisee's solution which I had read about a while before so I made my own up. Pharisee's solution is much simpler than mine and just as effective. Here is mine.

John