Fork sliders

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
oldandsmelly

Fork sliders

Post by oldandsmelly »

Does anyone know if the bottom aluminium fork sliders are the same for 1 1/8 and 1 and 1/4 forks?

While mending a front wheel puncture, I noticed that one of the bottom studs was loose. No worries, I thought.... at worst, I'll need to helicoil and make a new stud. However, when I investigated, I found that the stud must have been pulled out or snapped by the PO and then the cavity filled with what looked like araldite. This has all dropped out leaving a crater too big for a thread repair so it's new sliders.

New sliders are available, but the part number quoted is 022794 which, I think, is for the later forks. My bike has a 1952 swinging arm frame and 1 1/8 forks.
Mick D

Re: Fork sliders

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Give Steve at AMC Classic Spares a ring, he helped me source second hand fork components.

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

oldandsmelly wrote:Does anyone know if the bottom aluminium fork sliders are the same for 1 1/8 and 1 and 1/4 forks?

While mending a front wheel puncture, I noticed that one of the bottom studs was loose. No worries, I thought.... at worst, I'll need to helicoil and make a new stud. However, when I investigated, I found that the stud must have been pulled out or snapped by the PO and then the cavity filled with what looked like araldite. This has all dropped out leaving a crater too big for a thread repair so it's new sliders.

New sliders are available, but the part number quoted is 022794 which, I think, is for the later forks. My bike has a 1952 swinging arm frame and 1 1/8 forks.
They'll fit but the difference is at the lower end. Your's will have square shouldered end caps and the later type will have the rounded profiles.
Big Pete

Post by Big Pete »

A good welder could fill it letting you retap or helicoil. Should work out cheaper. Just mind and make sure the hole is spotless before welding.
Highlander, "There can be only one"…
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

The 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 sliders are very different and not as far as I know interchangeable. Repair is probably your best option, or one from Steve at AMC spares. Andy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Andy51 wrote:The 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 sliders are very different and not as far as I know interchangeable. Repair is probably your best option, or one from Steve at AMC spares. Andy
You can chop and change the bits Andy, I've done it and got a bike like it already when I couldn't get a suitable replacement, but the ends and caps don't blend in with each other, it's a cosmetic thing.
Best thing is to change as a pair.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Is there enough material around the enlarged hole to enable you to make a shouldered stud, then you could retap the hole to suit, just an idea providing it would'nt weaken the area.
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

I've decided to try the shouldered stud route before I rip into the fork rebuild. I've helicoiled the hole to 3/8 cycle thread and will turn down a corresponding stud to 5/16 and then see how that works. The helicoil went in well and a 3/8 cycle thread bolt feels firm in the hole, so fingers crossed....
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Bruce

Hope your repair works, sounds like a result :)

Don't know if you're aware but the thread in the slider was originally BSF, a more coarse thread - go easy when torqueing up the cap on the repaired stud and make sure the shoulder is below, or at least flush with, the face of the slider.

Regards Mick
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

Hi Mick

I did know about the stud being BSF on the internal thread but when I went to my box of helicoils, I found I had just about everything except 3/8 BSF!

I'm hoping that the difference between 22 and 26 TPI won't affect things too much... time will tell.

cheers
Bruce