Packers by Hagity Remp - pannier rack

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
56G80S

Packers by Hagity Remp - pannier rack

Post by 56G80S »

Hi all

I've bought a pair of these panniers to replace the Roadarks. The Roadarks are really pretty etc but heavy and don't hold enough "stuff". I'll be dropping off the towbar with a view to stopping hauling a trailer! The Packers are very much like the glass fibre Cravens.

I'll post pictures later but these are the same https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/sho ... 0-Panniers although the rack is different. Need to fit new lid hinges and tidy up but they're sound otherwise.

They came with a rack which I have no idea how to fit. The rack has veritcal bars fitted with hooks at the bottom which locate into indentations on the bottom of the panniers. At the top there are round "bobbles" which go through holes in the panniers and are secured by spring clips. Then fit the lid and they're secure from theft (ha ha).There's a multitude of mounting parts. I reckon one would go on the Jampot top mounting and there are shaped clamps which could go on the rear lifting handles.

The rack needs disassembling, cleaning, flatting down and painting. So I'd like to be confident about fitting it before starting. I don't want to take off the current rack until I get some pictures of how I can fit the "new" one. Just holding it next to the Matchless has given me some ideas but it seems that if I go the way I think of then the panniers are going to be well back and the top box rack even further.

I had thought maybe take the vertical bar assembly off and fit onto the rack I currently have fitted but that rack is not parallel to the sides of the Matchless whereas the "new" rack would be. The top box wouldn't work either.

I'll have to master loading pics into the post.

Johnny B
spookefoote1956

Re: Packers by Hagity Remp - pannier rack

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I've always used two army surplus rucksacks strapped together with a couple of bin liners on the inside. However on one occasion I set fire to them on Beatock Summit due to one sitting on the exhaust of my then SP370!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

I also use army surplus bags strapped together but to help them keep shape (...and not droop down and catch fire on the exhaust :rofl: ;-) ) I cut a plastic storage container in half and then trimmed the two halves to fit giving a rigid internal shell which is solid on the back, sides and bottom of the bags - work a treat and you can't tell they have plastic inserts from the outside, so they look in keeping with the bike.
spookefoote1956

Top tip Stephen. I'm going to give it a whirl. Laughing at my misfortune, how very dare you!

Actually it was dead funny. Vehicles travelling in the opposite direction were flashing lights and waving........ I just waved back. The pack I was riding with kept riding aside me and pointing. "Hell yeah I look cool" thinks I. "But something doesn't smell right". Stopping faster than Milky Quayle at Ballig I literally kicked the offending bags off the bike then stamped on them.

Perhaps we should start a thread of top tips, which may or may not be as top as we originally thought!
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Well, setting aside the "don't bother doing it" comments I've just recived some new stainless hinges for the bodge that was in place for the lids. Really nice from a ship chandlers.

Can't get the locks to work with the keys taped inside but will squirt up with WD40 / 3-in-1 / Plus gas whatever I have to hand and see how they go. Already looking forweard to next year and rallies.

Unless it's pouring down Monday will do the trip to Bishop on the Matchbox Monday.

Johnny B
spookefoote1956

56G80S wrote:Well, setting aside the "don't bother doing it" comments I've just recived some new stainless hinges for the bodge that was in place for the lids. Really nice from a ship chandlers.

Can't get the locks to work with the keys taped inside but will squirt up with WD40 / 3-in-1 / Plus gas whatever I have to hand and see how they go. Already looking forweard to next year and rallies.

Unless it's pouring down Monday will do the trip to Bishop on the Matchbox Monday.

Johnny B
Like you say, some pics would have helped.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Well, I think I know what I plan to do and am attempting to post a photo with three arrows drawn on it.
Packers carrier inc arrows med.jpg
I'm planning to attach the strip at arrow A to the top mounting of the Jampots (using this currently).

Arrow B fit a strip to go from the hole to the QD rear mudguard mounting point - at the forward bolt. OOPPSS, I put the arrow B too high up, it should be down the photo below the straps that the panniers hook onto - the first hole up from the ground!

Arrow C use these, perhaps modified to reach by adding a further strip, to the lifting handle.

The long strips, not lettered, to the rear footrest mountings (where the front point of the towbar is mounted.

Plan to put the whole as far forward as possible without compromising the battery box opening etc.

Johnny B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.