Northlite pistons?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
WnRn

Northlite pistons?

Post by WnRn »

Pulling down my G80L and find the piston fitted is stamped on the crown with Northlite 66 REGD

I did google search and could only find one reference to Northlite pistons as being made by A.P.North.

Till I get a bore gauge and can measure that correctly I can only go by measuring the piston with is 83.5mm.

1 piston ring is broken.

So do I wait till I can measure the bore and then buy a piston to suit the bore or try to get rings that fit this piston.

The bore seems to be in good condition.
Cheers Ross.

My motorcycle blog..... http://rossmz.blogspot.com/

The chief enemy of creativity is common sense (Pablo Picasso)
cfaber

Re: Northlite pistons?

Post by cfaber »

WnRn wrote:Pulling down my G80L and find the piston fitted is stamped on the crown with Northlite 66 REGD

I did google search and could only find one reference to Northlite pistons as being made by A.P.North.

Till I get a bore gauge and can measure that correctly I can only go by measuring the piston with is 83.5mm.

1 piston ring is broken.

So do I wait till I can measure the bore and then buy a piston to suit the bore or try to get rings that fit this piston.

The bore seems to be in good condition.
Yeah you'll need a gauge to be sure, but one thing you can do is pull the rings off the piston and slide it mid-way down the bore and use shim gauges to figure out how far out it is (vs the measurement you get off the piston itself).
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?