Issue with rear mudguard fixation

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
schrottschlecker

Issue with rear mudguard fixation

Post by schrottschlecker »

Hallo,

I have difficulties to attach the rear mudguard to my 58 model 18S with later frame. The right "grabhandle" bracket has a shorter tube (where the upper shock absorber screw goes through) than the left one. Is that correct or is there a distance piece missing? Do I need to add washers or anything to equalize left to right?

Thanks for any advice or a correct picture.

Christian
mg1.jpg
mgr.jpg
mgl.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Re: Issue with rear mudguard fixation

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The 'grab handles' were of differing design over the years, it looks like you have a mixture.

Steve at AMC Classic Spares was able to supply me with a correct pair of second hand items for my restoration, why not give him a call and see if he has some to suit your frame?

Failing that, packing out with washers or a spacer would achieve the aim.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Re: Issue with rear mudguard fixation

Post by Rob Harknett »

You have a 58 with a later frame. Year not stated. It may be a good idea to date the frame to discover the correct parts that will fit it. I guess you are building the back end to fit the later frame. You have wheel fitted and a few other bits. Do you have all the others bits to complete the rear end? If not it may be a good idea to see what other problems may await you. Then decide the best way to go with the min amount of bodging to do. I brought a CSR that was an unfinished project. I soon found out why. The seat that came with it appeared to be correct but I had a hell of a job trying to fit it at the rear end. I had to butcher the front seat fitting and make a difficult bodge to fit the rear end. Something similar may await you.