QD sprocket replacement

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
CliveSW

QD sprocket replacement

Post by CliveSW »

I want to replace the pictured sprocket on my G80, it is stamped 023071, the only one I can find in the spares is 023070 and looks different, is it just a misleading picture or have I something else?
IMG_0407.JPG
IMG_0408.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stuoyb

Re: QD sprocket replacement

Post by Stuoyb »

023071 is the casting no.
The finish machined part is 023070.
CliveSW

Post by CliveSW »

Thanks for that, I can get on and order one.
CliveSW

Post by CliveSW »

I've just received sprocket 023070 which unfortunately is not the same as the one I showed in my post. Any ideas as to where I can obtain the one I need?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

Your original QD sprocket looks just like mine, with the wide holes for the rubber bushed pins mounted on the hub. The number quoted of 23070 matches what appears in my spares list for my 61 M16 and also the part number that appears on the AMC Classic Spares web site. As you say, the sprocket pictured on the Club Spares site does not look like the part that you showed, nor that fitted to my bike. Unfortunately I obtained my sprocket from a friend in our E-Berks section, rather than the club. I have some vague remembrance that there are two forms of QD wheel mechanisms a more knowledgeable member will correct me if I'm wrong. Picture of my sprocket below (I hope).
DSCN2639.jpg
Just had a look at the non-QD sprocket I took off when I did the conversion some years ago and that is different to the picture on the web site. Note that on the picture, there are no raised surfaces for the rubber faced pins to drive against, the spacing for the holes in the picture would not match up with the spacing of the mounts in the hub. If I were you I would send your original picture to Stephen Surbey at AMC Classic spares and ask him to identify it. My suspicion is that the sprocket in the spares scheme is wrong, but I'm a relative novice.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

You have been sent the earlier 1955/6 QD sprocket part no. 021596. This drives directly on the metal hub pins. The part no. you require is 023070.
CliveSW

Post by CliveSW »

Thanks for your replies, the parts catalogue shows the earlier sprocket but gives the number for the later sprocket I want! I'll give them a ring on Monday.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Just to confirm what has been said, as mine is a 1956 QD and has the metal to metal pins described above. They are NOT interchangeable.

Johnny B
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Parts service has been awaiting stock of the early type hub for some time.
Stock of 023070 was received late last year and a large quantity sold with no problem.
The part supplied last week must have been packed/labelled incorrectly from the supplier, all remaining stock at Kettering has been checked and is good.
Parts service will arrange supply of replacement asap.
CliveSW

Post by CliveSW »

Thanks, I'll get the one I received back to you.