Kick back

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Mick D

Re: Kick back

Post by Mick D »

Hi Mike

It sounds more like a problem with the auto advance system sicking in an advanced position.

Regards Mick
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks Mick, all fingers seem to be pointing to the springs and the auto advance unit think I may have a spare set albeit used, will try them tomorrow, and report back.
Mike
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

But did you clean the A/R. This must be done first. Don't get fooled into first buying new springs, to cure the A/R which is seizing up. The A/R should flick back with weak springs if it is clean. I cannot see grease getting into where it seizes, use petrol/white spirit to clean, WD 40 to luricate. Grease is for the chain. The early 1938 up to 54/55 timing cover, in the prewar era, had a grease nipple, to grease the chain If the SR 1 mag rectangle stops are a bit worn slip a bit of cable sleaving on them. This will stop a slight rattle. In 60 plus years I have never had to replace springs. They have little work to do, work fine if the A/R is kept completely free lubricated with light oil.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Spot on with all the suggestions here, I cleaned the A/R unit with petrol removed the grime around the springs, retuned and wow no kickback and goes like a rocket.
Many Many Thanks to all and a man hug from me 👍👍👍👍
Mike
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Good news Mike. Are you going to the Jampot? If so are you going to bring it? My brother will probably take his 1963 AJS model 18 and it would be a rare sight to see them together.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

I,m in two minds James, I've got the G80 on EBay as I,ve been thinking of selling .
But tempted to remove from sale, and keep it, and bring it to the Jampot.
Need to sort out a van for Jampot should know on Monday.
Last edited by mikeydpippin on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Van and space booked and raring to go, see you there.
Mike