G80S Value???

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Biscuit
Deceased

G80S Value???

Post by Biscuit »

WEll there's one bonus, it has all the right bits., and they are all there as well. (Including the pressed steelware)

Trig748

G80S Value???

Post by Trig748 »

quote:
Hi Trig, nice to see you over here !!!

From the pictures (now in the gallery), I would agree with you that a figure in the low hundreds would be far more appropriate.

There's a lot to be done to get it all "spick and span" - I could see £2000+ disappearing on it easily to bring it back to show condition (if that's what you want). Alternatively, spend a few hundred and run it in 'oily rag' condition !
It looks like you may be needing replacement silencer and wheel rims at the very least - but at least all the tinware appears to be intact and original (perhaps someone more experienced than me will confirm?).

Eamonn

Hi Eamonn. When AndyB said you would reply I didn't think it would be on here! I thought you just had the Ducati Monster.

I will hopefully see it in the flesh at the week end. Someone offered £900 after seeing the pictures and then withdrew completely after inspecting the bike!

Are spares easy enough to get hold of? What about petrol tanks? I am worried it may be rusting through from the inside. I am sure he made NO provision for long term storage back in 1973, so the fact it starts means it simply isn't siezed at the moment. 50 miles down the road every bearing could give up.

So maybe £200 is a reasonable price
paul knapp

G80S Value???

Post by paul knapp »

I know we are a long way away, but an original machine with running engine, as seen in photo gallery, is fairly well sort after here, and would command a price tag of, I estimate, of between $1500-$2000 OZ dollars!!...600 - 800 GBP...Original, unmolested bikes are few and far between.
Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

pdm664

G80S Value???

Post by pdm664 »

Following sage advice from Biscuit and Itma I just gave away two of these bikes (actually m18s)over the weekend. 80% complete and significantly more mangled and definitely not working after 45 years plus in Uganda. That is the absolute bottom of the scale. This bike has to be £500 minimum surely.

To all and sundry if you dont have expert advice at hand what simple checks can confirm or at least indicate the basic mechanical condition of such a bike?
itma

G80S Value???

Post by itma »

I`LL HAVE IT IF YOU DON`T WANT IT, MAKE YOUR MIND UP!!!!!!!!!
there you made me shout

If this was on offer to me and I got it for £500, I`d be well pleased, 200 is a bit cheeky. Even if the motor is totally knackered[it runs, its not] as a rare unmolested example, and with V5, it`ll carry a premium, this has to be worth buying.
You could spend 2K on it to turn it into a showpiece [get your head examined] equally you could spend 2K on a restored example and spend yet another 2K sorting it.
I reckon a weeks work on it will give you a usable bike for the rest of the year, and I reckon I could do that for around 100£
Come on, whats the asking price?
you`d get 200£ on ebay for the guards alone.Edited by - itma on 28 Jun 2006 6:20:33 PM
moley

G80S Value???

Post by moley »

someone i know broke a unrestored 54 matchless on ebay and made £1600 net
Biscuit
Deceased

G80S Value???

Post by Biscuit »

Vandal.

deshollier
Deceased

G80S Value???

Post by deshollier »

Another old bike bites the dust, hastening the day when new spares will no longer be made - groan!
itma

G80S Value???

Post by itma »

What I worry about is that someone will see fit to break an original but tatty bike that could be oily-ragged, yet folk go silly over such rubbish as has been discussed in another post being offered on ebay.
Ought to be hung drawn and metricated