Balls

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
mikeydpippin

Balls

Post by mikeydpippin »

Almost finished me 63 G80 starts and runs well, clutch operates and gears select as it should but.......
If engine running and in gear with clutch lever in its very difficult to pull the bike backwards to reverse it.
All the other bikes had a Ball clutch part no. 040031 where's this one didn't also this one had 11 plates total and I've rebuilt with 9 total (4 of each and a friction plate).
I,m guessing without the ball the clutch doesn't completely separate thus causing the problem.
Mike
SPRIDDLER

Re: Balls

Post by SPRIDDLER »

mikeydpippin wrote: I've rebuilt with 9 total (4 of each and a friction plate).
I'm not being pedantic, Mickeydrippin, but just to clarify and to avoid going off on a wild goose chase, do you mean 4 plain and 4 friction plates plus a pressure plate?
There should a ball at the kickstart end of the clutch thrust rod.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Yes that's correct Nev, I have a spares diagram but can't upload at the moment, will try later.
Mike
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

No need, I can view the archive docs.
There should be a ball at the kickstart end of the clutch thrust rod.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

There is a ball already fitted in front of the clutch pushrod, and I,m still getting the same problem ie.
Clutch and gears work fine, but with engine running clutch pulled in and bike in gear, the bikes very difficult to push backwards it's like the clutch plates aren't freeing.
Cable set with 1/8th free play, nuts holding clutch springs tightened to being level with clutch cover.
All thoughts appreciated.
Mike
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Does it clunk or click when you engage first gear? does the bike want to move forward when in you engage first gear?.........this could be clutch drag, check clutch for opening square and opening enough to free the plates.

Where is the take up point on the lever when you move off? is it close to the handlebar or near the end of lever travel?........this could be clutch adjustment, adjust as per manual.

I have to ask...... if gearbox and clutch is working okay why not put it in neutral and push it back, maybe all our bikes are the same, at some point the rain will stop and I will check mine.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

mikeydpippin wrote:There is a ball already fitted in front of the clutch pushrod, and I,m still getting the same problem ie.
Clutch and gears work fine, but with engine running clutch pulled in and bike in gear, the bikes very difficult to push backwards it's like the clutch plates aren't freeing.
Cable set with 1/8th free play, nuts holding clutch springs tightened to being level with clutch cover.
All thoughts appreciated.
Check the movement of the pressure plate when you pull the clutch lever back to the handlebar. It should be approximately 1/8" (about 3 - 3.5mm). If you have that sort of movement, there would be nothing wrong with the actuation mechanism.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
raffles

Post by raffles »

Sounds like its the push rod that needs adjusting. Disconnect the cable,wind the push rod adjuster in until it goes tight then back it off one
turn refit the cable and adjust.
Tony
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

raffles wrote:Disconnect the cable,wind the push rod adjuster in until it goes tight then back it off one turn refit the cable and adjust.
Hi

The literature advises backing off half a turn - a full turn will increase the probability of clutch drag.

Regards Mick
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Decided to give up with this one and live with it hoping it will sort itself out.
New clutch plates and springs, clutch plates are opening and closing in the basket as they should 1/2 turn on adjuster ( clutch plates) and 1/8” free play on cable.
Gear changing as it should with no sudden jerk, even changed clutch lever.
Still the same problem, in gear with clutch lever pulled in, very difficult to reverse bike, I have to take out of gear to reverse.
All other bikes reverse without too much effort.
Mike