ignition switch

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
smokiewazhere

ignition switch

Post by smokiewazhere »

hi again

i have another question that has been bugging me for the past 4 years that i have had this 1961 model 18 500 cc single

on the headlight i have two switches . the left switch is for the lights and the right switch is an ignition switch . now the ignition switch turns to the left or to the right is there any difference in running the bike on either setting????

regards colin
Mick D

Re: ignition switch

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The original 'Bakelite' knob would have had the legends 'IGN' - 'OFF' - 'EMG'

The normal running position is turned to the right - 'IGN'

In the event of a flat battery starting is better with the switch turned to the left - 'EMG'

Once started the switch should be returned to the 'IGN' position for riding.

Regards Mick
smokiewazhere

Post by smokiewazhere »

hi Mick

thank you for that information . i have been running the bike with the switch turned to the right as that is what a car type switch would do

regards colin
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I don't think I would have run the bike four years with referring to its instruction book. How to start the engine. Having the switch the wrong way round could have been costly.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Page 73 of the Owner's Manual gives details - I normally reference the 62 AJS one in the archive, (as there is no 61 one listed).

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf
Ignition Switch.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bitza

Post by bitza »

This reminds me of my uncouth yoof days first bike a 59 C15 same ignition layout, one day in rush turns it to E M G In error and did'nt understand why it was misfiring, but a wiser ,older head than mine put me to rights.
smokiewazhere

Post by smokiewazhere »

Hi Rob and mick
I did refer to the pages as you did mention and all it says is to turn the switch to ign but does not refer as to what direction to turn the switch if there is no igntion/emerg written on the head light and I was relying on the instructions from the po who only had the bike for 6 months
Regards Colin
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Colin

It sounds like your switch or at least it's knob has been replaced, (the legends were on the knob and a small depressed line on the headlamp shroud).

Does your ignition switch operate via a 'spade' key? if so the original switch has probably been replaced by a Lucas 88SA pattern - quite a common thing as the original Lucas 63SA pattern switch is, I believe, no longer available.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Knob with function legends is available (Wassell) for the Lucas 88SA switch......
Knob. Ignition and lighting switch for Lucas 88SA.jpg
Club spares also list the 88SA knob but no photo so cannot say if it has the function legends. (It's probably the same Wassell one).

http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=22621
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
smokiewazhere

Post by smokiewazhere »

[URL=http://s295.photobucket.com/user/s ... .jpg[/img][/url]

this is the switch in question ......as you can see there are no markings,,,, the switch is in the ign postion

regards colin