side stand spring location.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Allen_F

Re: side stand spring location.

Post by Allen_F »

Side stand spring holes :beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

thanks Allen!
Allen_F

Post by Allen_F »

Mate! You found it not me, I had noticed Rob indicated numerous attempts to locate the hole, which would include you and me. I thought I would try to make it easier for others.

Why a separate location for pictures related to topic i fail to grasp.
Taid

Post by Taid »

Thanks .. at last located the orifices .. thanks to/for the photo .. now to work out how to get the spring in .. does it curl in the one and out of the other? Plan to not have automatic fold, so in the front hole?
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

If you use these holes, either or both, the stand will flick up when the bike is lifted upright. If you want the stand to stay down until you flick it up, you will have to make a small bracket much further forwards, maybe fixed to an engine stud. The choice is yours.
Cheers Dave
Taid

Post by Taid »

dave16mct wrote:If you use these holes, either or both, the stand will flick up when the bike is lifted upright. If you want the stand to stay down until you flick it up, you will have to make a small bracket much further forwards, maybe fixed to an engine stud. The choice is yours.
Cheers Dave

I was sure I had seen somewhere that hooked in the rear it would retract automatically and in the front one would stay down ..

For the moment, anyway, I'll try hooking it it the existing holes.
___

Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

dave16mct wrote:If you use these holes, either or both, the stand will flick up when the bike is lifted upright. If you want the stand to stay down until you flick it up, you will have to make a small bracket much further forwards, maybe fixed to an engine stud. The choice is yours.
Cheers Dave
Not on my machines ('54 G3 and a '55 M18)... The spring is hooked in the the front holes on both and the stands stays down until you put them up.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

That's not what I was saying. He seems to only have the rear 2 holes. If you have 2 sets of holes, obviously you can use either set to operate the stand as you want it.
Taid

Post by Taid »

Mea culpa .. I was only looking for two holes .. found what now appears to be the rear pair .. tomorrow I'll go and look for the others .. which I will finish up using has yet to be decided ......
___

SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Taid wrote:.... found what now appears to be the rear pair .. tomorrow I'll go and look for the others ....
If you can't find them it's worth giving Steven Surbey a ring at AMC Classic Spares who has a lot of second hand stuff.
Tell him I sent you. ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'