side stand spring location.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
StephenG80

side stand spring location.

Post by StephenG80 »

can someone please post up a picture/illustration of where the spring locates to the frame for the side stand (1954 G80s). PO for mine had fitted a non-standard spring bodged to the far side of the frame with "safety" wire which did work fine but has now failed so I would like to put her back to standard.

Thanks in advance

Stephen
Rob Harknett

Re: side stand spring location.

Post by Rob Harknett »

This question has been asked so many times even quite recently, these answers can be found if searched.
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ng#p193251
Here's a link to find just of the many times this question has been answered.
Allen_F

Post by Allen_F »

I followed the last post to nowhere.

I found this :- http://www.jampot.com/pic_display.asp?id=3201
You might have to log in.

not sure what model this is.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

thanks folks - its a photo/illustration of those darn mythical holes in the frame showing their location that I am after - I just can't find them. I saw all these threads but none showed that critical aspect - hohum.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

Just found this picture - are the holes on the top side of the area I have circled red :ugeek: ?
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The holes are along the bottom of tube. Put the spring on the stand with the stand folded in. Note where the spring hook is under the frame rail, for where to find the holes. They could get filled with muck & paint. Just noticed the red circle is on the right side of the bike holes in the left side frame rail. I hope I have not confused myself, and it is side stand spring you are referring to
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

thanks as ever for your knowledge Rob - yes it is the side stand. So just to confirm the spring is attached to the rail on the same side as the stand? Looks like the side stand's spring in the photo is attached to the opposit side. I'll check out the LH rail.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Does this photo help?

http://www.jampot.com/pic_display.asp?id=493

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Stephen G80 wrote:thanks as ever for your knowledge Rob - yes it is the side stand. So just to confirm the spring is attached to the rail on the same side as the stand? Looks like the side stand's spring in the photo is attached to the opposit side. I'll check out the LH rail.
I'm not so sure about that Stephen. Knowledge & Memory are two different things and the latter is getting rusty. So off to the garage, my 55 bike has the spring going over to the right as in Mick D's picture. That's the closest I have to the year of your bike. I noticed a prewar bike with the spring on the left rail, but attached to a clip on the frame rail. I never looked on a bike later than 55. I'm now thinking a good look on your bike referring to Mick D's pic may find some holes on your bike.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Does this photo help?

http://www.jampot.com/pic_display.asp?id=493

Regards Mick
Yes - perfect - sorted -many thanks :beer: