Clutch basket

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
mikeydpippin

Clutch basket

Post by mikeydpippin »

70328E32-8F80-416E-BAA0-3E12748396DE.jpeg
FEEFF24C-8FD8-4D29-8E12-FB05270CF9F1.jpeg

Hi,

1963 Matchless G80.
When I tighten the clutch basket with the nut and spring washer as shown onto the rear chaincase (as shown) the kickstart goes tight and the rear wheel tightens.
Am I missing a spacer??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Mick D

Re: Clutch basket

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I don't think so, as long as all of the parts are to original spec. Does the wheel tighten up progressively as you tighten the clutch centre nut?

When I re-assembled mine I found I had put the gearbox top bolt in backwards, (the head should be facing the chain case), with the bolt tightened the thread was bearing on the chain case and distorting it to the point it would interfere with the clutch as the centre nut was tightened.

Regards Mick
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks Mick,
Checked bolt all ok,
Clutch basket was scraping on rear chaincase, so I,ve sanded high spots and now ok.
When the centre nut is tightened, wheel turns fine, but when pushing down on kickstart it feels quite tight.
So I have an easy to push kickstart, but with clutch basket nut tight, it's tighter to push down.
Mike
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Have you set the primary chain tension correctly? an over tight chain could have that effect.

I'm assuming you're feeling the tightness in the kick start with the clutch released, am I correct? If not how does it feel released?

How is the alignment between the sprockets?

Regards Mick
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Not sure what I've done but clutch working fine now, took off and on cleaned, filed, put primary chain on and all's well.
Mike