Spark plug spanner

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Mick D

Re: Spark plug spanner

Post by Mick D »

56G80S wrote:I use a "box" spanner with an attached metal strip like this:
Hi

There's a lot to commend the original tooling too for 'on road' repairs:
Plug Spanner.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Mikey what you require for your kneeknocker tank is

2 x Pt No. 021174 Petrol tank front fixing rubber, 1954-on C & CS and 1961-on road models. These are the very thick rubbers that fit inside the tank tube below the special bolt head (cut a slot in them for the tang to locate into). I am assuming that you do have the special bolts already, if not Pt No 027161 Petrol tank front fixing bolt, 1961-on all models is what you also require.

2 x 014995 Petrol tank rubber pad, thick, for fixing bolts in uppermost location. NB 014995 rubber fits above head of bolt effectively raising the tank. But if it sits too high put your existing thin ones in the tube first before inserting the bolt and thick rubber.

At the rear you should have a u shaped rubber which sits onto a foam pad that is stuck to the underside of the tank. Club spares sell an eccentric circular donut which is split allowing it to wrap around the frame top tub so it can't fall off (fit with thicker side to the top) to replace the original set up. The tank then rests on it and is held in place with either a rubber o ring or piece of inner tube etc etc.

The nyloc nuts are correct but there should be NO thin rubber washer only 2 different diameter metal washers which sit against the underside of the tank mounting. The way the tank mounts is totally different to earlier models.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks Rob,
Think I have the right parts maybe in the wrong order, I will disassemble and post pic in the morning.
Appreciate your help, if fitted correctly it may raise tank a little more 👍👍
Mike
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

mikeydpippin wrote:Thanks Rob,
Think I have the right parts maybe in the wrong order, I will disassemble and post pic in the morning.
Appreciate your help, if fitted correctly it may raise tank a little more 👍👍
Yep do that as I'll only be around till Sunday morning. I'll look at what you have both front and back and try to sort it out.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Just a thought, if a single and it has a twin tank would that be a reason the plug hits the bottom of the tank. Tank single/twin part numbers differ
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

That type of spark plug spanner has done more "on the road" repairs than I could possibly remember. As Alan says, easy to fit into tool box (or often in the pocket of the Belstaff) and fully reliable.

My Matchless is very functional rather than pretty and has done (still doing) lots of miles coupled with spark plug business on the road. I have two of these spanners, one is closed at the top and came with the Matchless but after 40 years was wearing out so got another. The later one is open at the top so fits over rather than encapsulating the insulation and isn't very tall in consequence which makes it great for smaller spaces. It also has a shorter amount of leverage. This is good because overtighten spark plugs into alloy heads is great for wearing threads out; spark plugs only need to be nipped up. Long lever often means overtightening.

My Dad used to laugh when I snapped heads off bolts! The fun we had with a TR6P.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote:That type of spark plug spanner has done more "on the road" repairs than I could possibly remember. As Alan says, easy to fit into tool box (or often in the pocket of the Belstaff) and fully reliable.
From the very first TT until as recently as 1950 that shape spanner was frequently tucked into the top of a rider's boot for roadside plug changes.
G Duke 2 1950 TT.JPG
Photo c/o Getty Images.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

306BBB66-EB77-4A22-ACC6-926CC5C9D87A.jpeg

Here's a pic showing order I have fitted and tother side with rubber and nyloc bolt inserted into tank, ready to be rested onto frame lug.
It came as a kit..
Mike
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Right first insert the smaller rubber into the tube, next insert the bolt complete with the bigger rubber, you should then find that the bigger rubber should protrude from the bottom of the tube by 3/4". You then fit the tank and on the underside of the frame lug you should fit a large dia washer which is the same dia as the rubbers (not in your pic) followed by the smaller washer that you appear to have then the nut.

What have you got at the rear?
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks Rob all fitted,( did have 4 washers) going to order the doughnut ring from Jampot just need to sort out how to tie around lugs to frame at rear.
Zip tie???
Mike