Engine / gear box spacers.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Invicta

Engine / gear box spacers.

Post by Invicta »

Having had my frame and engine gear box plates powder coated I want to start the reassembly of my basket case 1949 model 18 , but there are a lot of different sized spacers in the basket and I have no idea which went where. Is there a diagram anywhere that shows their location. I have a BMS illustrated parts book , but this does not even show them. Can anyone recommend a decent parts book with exploded drawings that show what goes where?
Mick D

Re: Engine / gear box spacers.

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I found a diagram in the archive relevant to my 61 G3, there's probably one for your machine.

I also found that powder coat adds about 0.5mm per surface, so nothing fitted correctly :( - I spot faced the powder coat off and re-protected with Japlac as necessary.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have always stated, the WD Matchless Instruction/Workshop manual is a good book to refer to for early singles. The basic info very helpful. So we look here and find where the spacer goes, see blown up picture below. Knowing where it goes will help you spot the correct spacer from your box of bits. The inside dia. must fit on the shaft, it also seems the outside dia. must fit in the casing recess, so that narrows down the search. From memory the spacer is about 3/16" thick ( 4mm ) I stand to be corrected on that. pt. no. is 35-G3-E124. about 1952 it would have got a new pt.no. 010629 First used in 1935 when the G3 was first introduced. G3 within the pt.no. just means that being the smallest model it was first used on. If you cannot find it, club spares stock one under the new pt.no. 010629 But be warned, it is marked stock is low.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.04.30_19h34m50s_001_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob, what are you on about? The thread is asking about engine plates/gearbox spacers NOT engine sprocket shock absorber spacer. :headbang: :headbang:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Invicta wrote:Having had my frame and engine gear box plates powder coated I want to start the reassembly of my basket case 1949 model 18 , but there are a lot of different sized spacers in the basket and I have no idea which went where. Is there a diagram anywhere that shows their location. I have a BMS illustrated parts book , but this does not even show them. Can anyone recommend a decent parts book with exploded drawings that show what goes where?
Parts list for 1949 does show the spacer, check its number listed under sprockets / engine, then you will find it illustrated. Note its "it" not them there's only one.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote:Rob, what are you on about? The thread is asking about engine plates/gearbox spacers NOT engine sprocket shock absorber spacer. :headbang: :headbang:
Ha ha that's amused you Rob. Oh well, I guess it may help later on once the plates are sorted out.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2018.04.30_20h13m32s_003_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.04.30_20h11m22s_002_.png
So, we are looking for gearbox spacers??? there seems to be 5 and the parts list tells where they go. 4 are identical, they must fit on a 7/16" dia bolt. Any clues there to help?? Or have I got it wrong again. I am trying to help. I have not got a 49 bike, so to check sizes I have to first check if the parts referred to are in any of my bikes that I could measure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:Rob, what are you on about? The thread is asking about engine plates/gearbox spacers NOT engine sprocket shock absorber spacer. :headbang: :headbang:
Ha ha that's amused you Rob. Oh well, I guess it may help later on once the plates are sorted out.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Yep, I have no doubt it'll be of some use somewhere maybe just not here on this thread! :D
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Thanks for all your help gents. It gives me a good starting point. If I get the first few in their correct places then it lowers the odds on getting the rest in the wrong place.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Invicta wrote:Thanks for all your help gents. It gives me a good starting point. If I get the first few in their correct places then it lowers the odds on getting the rest in the wrong place.
Hope so. Once you find some and start loose fitting, you may be able to measure spaces that need a spacer, to give more clues. Don't forget also, washers and where they go.