Battery box

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Allen_F

Re: Battery box

Post by Allen_F »

Thank you guys , I appreciate your advise.
57 still had magneto, generator, amc gearbox, no engine shock spring thingie, that went to the clutch centre, still had tin primary case although slightly different to earlier models when the crank shock went west. Not sure if a altinator and aluminium primary case would work? probably! I get the impression the transformation lasted a couple of years.

Here is the fleabay add :- https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/23278021109 ... 1436.l2649

It's about a 600k hike if i were to get it since it's pick up only.
Anyhow
Cheers!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Allen_F wrote:[
Is it possible to fit an earlier g80 engine to my 1957 with amc gearbox ?
I'm thinking as a spare motor.
Allen. I'm not exactly clear what you're trying to achieve with a 'spare' motor.
Please clarify:
Do you currently have a '57 engine with AMC gearbox, mag, dynamo, steel chaincase etc?

Is it in running order?

These robust singles just go on and on ............and on.

This is the parts list for your '57 Matchless engine/transmission etc....

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf

And below is the parts list for the '51 AJS
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Allen_F

Post by Allen_F »

G'day Neville, My bike came from a diseased estate, dismantled and in a box/ boxes although mostly complete.
The seller, the divorced son-in-law sifted through components in order to build himself a similar model bike , I didn't take too much notice.
I have assembled the bike replacing bearings and such as needed, it is up and going although i would hesitate to venture out too far into the wilderness.
I do wish i had found your support group sooner, things would have been much easier.

As for that motor, well that seemed a logical option to me, if only it had been a later model. Motors are like rocking horse poo here.
Edit:- ps. my bike has Magneto in front of cylinder like that aj on eBay. other matchless have it behind, that was what Got me thinking.

What if the Hokey-Cokey is what it's all about? For some people it is, they only open their mouth too change feet!

I had found those pdf's, thank you.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Allen_F wrote:I have assembled the bike replacing bearings and such as needed, it is up and going although i would hesitate to venture out too far into the wilderness.
For what it's worth Allen, my approach would be to get your current '57 engine/mag etc. as reliable as possible and develop confidence in its condition. After all, having a spare engine at home when you break down 'in the wilderness' won't be much help.
The earlier '51 engine will be a real pain to fit, even by choice and at your leisure, and for the cost to buy it (no way Au$1000!!) and obtain the matching parts needed, and the time of driving 600km to buy it you could have your current engine running sweet as a nut, and who knows what condition the '51 engine is in?
As for that motor, well that seemed a logical option to me, if only it had been a later model. Motors are like rocking horse poo here.
Catastrophic failure of these engines (broken crankcase, cracked head/barrel, collapsed bearings etc.) is very rare, perhaps that's why so few are available?
In my opinion it's more likely that a problem with a failing mag (also very rare) would leave you stranded and you won't have a spare one. In any case a failing mag will generally show up gradually - difficulty starting a hot engine being the main indicator.

What if the Hokey-Cokey is what it's all about? For some people it is, they only open their mouth to change feet!
I'll have to get my Aussie daughter in law (who lives in my village) to explain that one :?
(She also finds it highly amusing how we came to have a summer sport which isn't played in the rain ;) ).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Well a lot of hard work has been worthwhile. Now I intend to use Edith this summer and get some miles on the clock.

Last winter was a total engine rebuild and its now got 700 miles on the clock and is starting to loosen up, she'll actually tick over now.

Really pleased with the new tinware and paint job (it shows up the other paint but hey ho. My plans for next winter is Gearbox out and try to cure some of the oil leaks and hopefully get a ice clutch action.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

It was a trial getting the rear mudguard straight but worth the effort. While the cog box is out I think I'll treat meself to one of those nice centre stands. Well I wont be this fit and strong forever. I'm even getting the hang of using the valve lifter for starting instead of 20 stone and a exprop forward's right leg.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Allen_F

Post by Allen_F »

Hi Harry,
I must apologise for the intrusion, I had not anticipated the complexity of my question.
I will find the correct approach eventually.

Your thumper is looking great.

Allen.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Allen_F wrote:Hi Harry,
I must apologise for the intrusion, I had not anticipated the complexity of my question.
I will find the correct approach eventually.

Your thumper is looking great.

Allen.
No need to apologise to me, it's quite natural that conversations wander. It makes things more interesting :D