Battery box

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Re: Battery box

Post by Pharisee »

Sounds to me like you're getting there. :D
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Mike

I thought that the toolbox shown was the same as the one fitted to my 1956 G80S - on the other side is the "interim" oil tank. Not that I care less about "originality" but apart from the AMC box swapped in when I've dismantled and re-assembled (more than once since the mid1970's) it's been as per 1956. Oh yes, it was a pattern seat but now have the "interim" seat albeit with AJS colours - I said originality wasn't my thing.

Johnny B
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

That battery/tool box would not fit so now I have two Indian made kidney shaped tool boxes. these are well made and fit.

The only thing wrong with them is the thread for the screw to hold the lid shut. it was m6 :roll:

However M6 is slightly smaller than 1/4 inch so I put a drill through them and tapped them to 1/4 CEI so now the club screws fit :D

I'm thinking about some sort of clip to stop them falling out of the lid when its open.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Well all the bits, tool boxes, mudguards and battery carrier, are off to be painted. I'm gonna rewire it while the bits are off. :D
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Well I've done the rewire, with a modification. The LED headlamp bulb is the "double dipper" type where dip is one led and main beam is both. So I wired the dip beam directly to the headlamp switch and main beam through the dip switch. That way if the dip switch packs up I'll still have dip and it also reduces volt drop so its a bit brighter.

I got the mudguards and tool boxes back from the paint shop today. So now I need the time to get it back together.

Too many hobbies that's my trouble. :D
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

When I did the dry build the rear mudguard was as straight as a die. Now its got paint on it..................its twisted :headbang:
bitza

Post by bitza »

On a 53 g 9 the screws for locking the tool box have knurled heads with a screwdriver slot, they also have a taper point on thread end,
And have a couple of locknuts to prevent said screw falling out when lid is open, tip, when I assembled mine I used a fibre washer under the screw head to protect the paint finish when closing the lid.
Allen_F

Post by Allen_F »

"originality" but apart from the AMC box swapped into your 56 model colour didn't work!

Quick question Jonny B please, related to your comment above.

Is it possible to fit an earlier g80 engine to my 1957 with amc gearbox ?
There is a cheap 51 model on fleebay here in au?

I'm thinking as a spare motor.
EDIT :-
I realize there would be a need for primary case outer change and that the drive sprocket may not align possibly requiring gearbox change, sigh...

I am not intending to hijack things here.
Thank you for understanding.
allen_f
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Allen_F wrote: Is it possible to fit an earlier g80 engine to my 1957 with amc gearbox ?
There is a cheap 51 model on fleebay here in au?
In short, Allen, it is possible, but it's a bit of a faff with gearbox alignment and chaincase differences as getting all the necessary parts in Australia could be problematic.
Fitting your 'cheap' '51 engine probably wouldn't end up being very cheap.

Other opinions are available.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Allen, I think Sprid is spot on. Tinware is usually more difficult to source in good condition than the "hardware". I had to sort out the spacer ring on the drive side crank axle to align the sprockets. Memory fails me but I thought the '57 on had no crankshaft shock absorber and the alternator? Anyway, I reckon Sprid is right.

I thought about putting a twin into my frame while I refurbished the G80S as I'd not had an AMC twin. It was going to work out a lot more expensive than I thought.

Johnny B