Installing valve springs.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Group Leader

Re: Installing valve springs.

Post by Group Leader »

I had the impression that Andrews Engineering suuplied a lot of stuff to the club, they had packed up / retired or whatever hence some of the availability problems for the club.

Or have I got the wrong end of a completely different stick :?:

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Janet

Post by Janet »

They have stopped manufacturing because of retirement but are still selling the stock they've got. Therefore you can get some stuff but not others.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Ah thank you Janet, so at least I got the right stick.

So it's "Buy while stocks last". I might need to peruse their list!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Assembled the G80 cylinder head this afternoon. I've installed new valve guides, re-cut the valve seats as there was a little pitting on the exhaust side and lapped in two new valves. I have to admit here, that the G3 head that I put together a few months ago was my first experience of hairpin valve springs and I struggled a little trying to use a valve spring compressor that was really meant for coil springs. It wasn't until I started this thread that I found out from you lot that it was possible to assemble the springs by hand. I had purchased one of the lever type installation tools but to be honest, it wasn't really needed. I did take the advice of 'alanengineer' and put a very small radius on the end of the spring legs so that they didn't 'snag' on the spring seat. I just hadn't considered that you could put the springs in 'one at a time'... I assumed that they had to be assembled as a pair. I had been advised to avoid using new 'repro' springs as they were inferior to the original items so I obtained a very good used set of early 60's springs. They went together with very little effort... I did use the shovel tool on one of them but I'm sure If I'd have really needed to I could have put them all in by hand.
Thank you all for putting me right!!

http://www.jampot.com/forum/download/fi ... ew&id=5963
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.