Installing valve springs.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Installing valve springs.

Post by Pharisee »

I've a replacement G80 cylinder head to build up with new valves etc. I've just ordered one of the lever type hairpin valve spring installing tools (018276) for the job. I've never used one of these before... What's the technique for removing and installing the springs using one of these tools, please?
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Mick D

Re: Installing valve springs.

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Never needed to use the designated tool - for removal I used the standard 'G' clamp type which I guess you'll have from your previous restoration, (though the manual indicates pulling up on the coil will work). Installation is pictured in the workshop manual and as a picture is worth a thousand words apparently I'll leave it there.

Regards Mick
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Back in the day I used to remove the springs by pulling up on the coils, and replace them by putting them loosely into position and then pushing the prongs into place with a screwdriver.

Malc
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If you see a picture of the lever tool in use, you should see The springs and all parts above fitted, One spring in place, the lever tool fitted on the other spring. Looks a bit like a spring on a shovel. When the lever tool is depressed, it shovels the spring in. First time I used one I was 16. Very easy to use and I never had a manual. The half moon type tool slow and fiddly.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Good question, i have never worked out how to use the 1/2 moon tool. Always done it by hand
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Half moon hairpin valve spring compressor.
First you need to undo the two long screws. The tool then bolts onto the head via the two small bolts that goes with the tool. Then you screw down the two long adjuster screws to compress the valve springs. Remover collets etc. The valve drops out. Unscrew the two long screws to remove the springs. Re fitting; Place springs in position, screw down the two long screws to compress the springs. Holding the valve in, fit collar and collets, Holding all this in position ( fiddly ) unscrew the two adjusting screws. Then remove the tool. ( If I remember correctly after 60 years of not using the tool ) Much easier to use the lever to shovel the spring in. Having just pulled them out by hand. ( fore finger through each spring coil ) It is possible to replace springs by hand, not easy unless you get the knack.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Thanks for the information... It looks simple enough. Hopefully, I won't fire the collets through the shed roof!!
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Thanks Rob.

Your explanations makes sence of the contraption. I will carry on using my hands as long as i have the strength to fit the springs. Just a simple tip i have used, is to put a very small radius (or de burr) the edge of the spring. It slips in a dream.
Chris Berry

Post by Chris Berry »

Pharisee wrote:I've a replacement G80 cylinder head to build up with new valves etc. I've just ordered one of the lever type hairpin valve spring installing tools (018276) for the job. I've never used one of these before... What's the technique for removing and installing the springs using one of these tools, please?
hi pharisee where did you get the tool from. I haven't been able to find one anywhere
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Chris Berry wrote:
Pharisee wrote:I've a replacement G80 cylinder head to build up with new valves etc. I've just ordered one of the lever type hairpin valve spring installing tools (018276) for the job. I've never used one of these before... What's the technique for removing and installing the springs using one of these tools, please?
hi pharisee where did you get the tool from. I haven't been able to find one anywhere
Andrew Engineering Ltd. They seem to have quite a lot of stuff that's out of stock at the club spares. I've just ordered some valve collets from them that the club no longer have.

http://www.andrew-engineering.co.uk/MainPage.htm