Head Gasket

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
mikeydpippin

Re: Head Gasket

Post by mikeydpippin »

I,ve put a steel rule across the top surfaces across the join where the 2 crankcases meet ( where the paper gasket lies) and it's spot on level.
I attach a pic where the engine number should be and it doesn't look as though it's been removed, would engines leave the factory without a number ?
06930347-7724-41F8-9898-D604B38FBAF4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

mikeydpippin wrote:I,ve put a steel rule across the top surfaces across the join where the 2 crankcases meet ( where the paper gasket lies) and it's spot on level.
Good. I misinterpreted the location of the mismatch between the faces. (I couldn't see all of your picture at the same time as my neighbour wasn't at home to let me in !! ;) )
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Hi Mike,
Re "I attach a pic where the engine number should be and it doesn't look as though it's been removed, would engines leave the factory without a number ?"

Crankcase halves (for repair work) were supplied by the factory without a number. I have an unnumbered drive side crankcase half myself, for a 1960's G80CS.

regards
Bjørn
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Good. I misinterpreted the location of the mismatch between the faces. (I couldn't see all of your picture at the same time as my neighbour wasn't at home to let me in !! ;) )

Neville, that's brilliant comment,
only dead fish go with the flow
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Wouldn't a mismatch of that magnitude make fitting the barrel skirt into the crankcase a bit difficult? The barrel of the G3 I've just put together was a pretty close fit into the crankcase.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Good. I misinterpreted the location of the mismatch between the faces. (I couldn't see all of your picture at the same time as my neighbour wasn't at home to let me in !! ;) )
cbranni wrote:Neville, that's brilliant comment'
To add insult to injury Colin, I had to fork out 15 quid today to replace the vase it had knocked off her mantelpiece. :(
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
To add insult to injury Colin, I had to fork out 15 quid today to replace the vase it had knocked off her mantelpiece. :(

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: