Chain case and oil tank

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
AJS_Chris

Re: Chain case and oil tank

Post by AJS_Chris »

Thanks again for the replies.

Rob - sorry but I still don't understand about the vent pipe / oiler. I've taken a picture of the oil tank and inserted it below. The left hand pipe (with nothing connected to it) is the pipe that the other end of is visible when the filler cap is removed, this would behave as an overflow, and possibly the vent? This is the pipe I squirted a drop of WD40 down and it appeared at the bottom.

The right hand pipe (highlighted with Tipex) has a rubber pipe that extends over the drive chain.

Maybe the left hand pipe is the vent and the right hand is the overflow?

Sorry to appear thick, I'm sure if we were stood beside the bike the question would be resolved in about 10 seconds.

Thank you Expat. I saw the bike when looking at the online catalog for an auction. Before I even saw the bike in the flesh I was pretty sure I'd buy it. I've had bikes for over 40 years but the AJS takes me back to a time when it was all about the fun.

Regards,
Chris.
Oil tank pipes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I'm not well versed on model/year differences but after a quick glance at Spares Lists it doesn't look like a '51 (or '50 or '52) AMC single oil tank to me. I don't recognise the 'disc' (the raised circular pressing) at top left of the photo. My '54 tank (as in the '52 illustration below) has two outlets at the base; one for the flow and t'other for the return, plus a vent pipe on the inside face. No other outlets.

EDIT
Just realised the photo is taken from the left side of the bike (I was distracted by Nurse's visit) so shows the 'inside' face of the tank so I may be totally wrong but I'll leave my reply and the illustration anyway. :oops:
52 oil tank.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

It is possible that it is from a very early (up to 1951) twin, those engines had the crankcase breather coming out of the rear of the cases by the inlet cam and the pipe then ran back into the oil tank and vented out by the inspection cap.