1947 M18 Frame Query

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
JimFitz

Re: 1947 M18 Frame Query

Post by JimFitz »

Hi Prosper and welcome to the club and forum. I see that you have only recently joined so you may not be aware of the excellent archive at http://archives.jampot.dk/ You will find answers to most questions here in the parts diagrams and manuals.

Regards

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

This look normal , certainly my 46 G80L the frame rail is as close to touching as its possible to be
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If it's any help here's my unmolested (one previous owner) '47 Model 18

(Hmm, that's odd; Prosper's original post seems to have disappeared :? )
100_1335 (640x480).jpg
100_1333 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Expat

Post by Expat »

Very nice too Neville. Are these recent pics of a new acquisition or from many moons ago?

:)
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Seems like our French man has disappeared very strange.
Roy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Expat wrote:Very nice too Neville. Are these recent pics of a new acquisition or from many moons ago? :)
Sadly, I decided to sell it after an accident on my 350 Matchless a couple of years ago when I could no longer ride it having lost the use of my right arm and hand and an unreliable right leg as it was just too heavy, and couldn't bear to see it gathering dust and taunting me in my shed. I now ride a modern bike (the 250cc 'Mutchless') far and wide, but still ride my 350 Matchless occasionally off-road only as I'm too much of a danger to others on public roads!
It belonged to Arthur Ellis, the owner of Jeffery's Motorcycles in Guildford, Surrey. He bought it new from his stock and it was more or less his only transport until he was 83.
Here is his dealership:
100_1343 (700x525).jpg
Here he is in his shop which closed down I believe in the 80's. The lad in the brown coat was an arts student and was his Saturday Boy. When Arthur Ellis died he bequeathed it to the lad who never registered or rode it but kept it under a sheet in various garages for around 20 years. The 'lad' advertised it on this Club's 'Bikes For Sale' section. The 'lad' was then Head of Art and Design at Eton College the famous private school.
100_1344 (640x480).jpg
After I had loaded the bike onto my trailer the chap asked me if I wanted 'a few old spare parts' and led me to a shed. It was stuffed with cardboard boxes, packages, various bits of frame, boxes of gaskets, pushrods, dynamo bearings and brushes, fork parts, a '47 replacement engine and a couple of gearboxes, plus numerous components, all labelled and priced (e.g 7/6d - about 38 new pence for a valve, and there about 20 of them. Everything was new. It would've taken me hours to go through it all so we agreed a fair price and I left with my motorhome down on the springs and testing the clutch in order to move off.

Literally many hundreds of parts, gears, front wheel axles, oil pump plungers, Lycett saddles, springs, brake shoes and linings, tank caps, oil filters, headlights, rear lights.........plus shop posters, AMC Dealer Service Notes.
This CP gearbox shaft for example (and there were enough gears to rebuild maybe 5 or 6 complete gearboxes) would now be 20 years later around £20 or more.
Most have been distributed to pals and some sold on eBay just to get them back into circulation.
14-C-4. CP Gear. Sliding. Mainshaft. 18 & 23 teeth (640x479).jpg
Apologies for clogging up this technical thread with my rambling (yet superficial and hopefully interesting) historical tale :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:58 am, edited 6 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Expat

Post by Expat »

Jeez, what an interesting tale, brought tears to my Olde Englishe eyes. Thanks for sharing Neville.

I was kind of aware of the history re your accident and how you didn't let it stop you riding bike's of some description or other.

Great that you have photographic records as well as actual physical items from days gone by.

Times gone forever........alas I say.

Regards
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)